Kuhli Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CharlotteGlover

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
New Zealand
ive had 2 kuhli loaches for 6 months now. The first 2 weeks everything was fine until one started loosing its stripes. It didnt seem to be sick and hasnt had any problems, im unsure of why this happened. The pictures attached are from when it started to loose its stripes to now, anyone got any opions on it.

F58233B9-F488-435E-B899-C8962AD616DB.jpeg

4295B6F0-A33D-49F7-800E-C5F386396160.jpeg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Interesting. Possibly stress--kuhli loaches like to be in a large group, and bury themselves. With sharp substrate, they won't, which can result in stress.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, very strange! I agree it might from stress. What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Tell us everything about your tank; size, how long it's been set up, other fish, what might be different lately (seasonal water difference? do you test your tap water?), what substrate?

Like OrionGirl said, more loaches would be good, but I can't believe that's why this odd loss of color happened. By head shape they may be 2 different species. But don't add any until you know more of what is happening.

I see you're in NZ & many of us on AC are in the US. Our country encompasses many water conditions but we may not know all that yours can have. Do you have a public water source or a well? You may need to look up your water supplier's web site to see if they list parameters...a well, there's no telling...

Is there a NZ specific aquarium forum that may help you if we can't?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
This is a genetic condition called amelanism. It's not caused by the water and there isn't anything you can do about it. The pigment fades as the fish matures. If you look closely you can see the pattern is still there, but it's yellow/pink.

Reactions: CharlotteGlover

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never heard of animals with normal coloration losing it like that, interesting. I thought color or lack of it was always there.

I did once see a dead pangio at a lfs that they called albino. But it seemed leucistic might have been a better term, it had clearly visible yellow/orange stripes. I think there have been a few reports in pangio & clown loaches on loaches.com

CharlotteGlover

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
New Zealand
Wow, very strange! I agree it might from stress. What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Tell us everything about your tank; size, how long it's been set up, other fish, what might be different lately (seasonal water difference? do you test your tap water?), what substrate?

Like OrionGirl said, more loaches would be good, but I can't believe that's why this odd loss of color happened. By head shape they may be 2 different species. But don't add any until you know more of what is happening.

I see you're in NZ & many of us on AC are in the US. Our country encompasses many water conditions but we may not know all that yours can have. Do you have a public water source or a well? You may need to look up your water supplier's web site to see if they list parameters...a well, there's no telling...

Is there a NZ specific aquarium forum that may help you if we can't?
Im unsure of the perameters i got the water tested last week im gonna test it again soon but they were fine for kuhli loches. Its a 20 gallon community tank theres fine gravel in the tank which they can burry in and little caves. I got the tank sexond hand at the start of june and by end of june the kuhli loaches were introduced to the tank. The fish doesnt seem stressed but im going to upgrade to a 40 gallon in a few weeks so im probably going to get a few more kuhlis. Thanks for your opinion

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That sounds like a good plan.

I had 6 striped kuhlis in a 30 inch 20g long tank for ~8 years before I had to move. I loved them! So mellow, there were 2 that hung out in the plants at the surface. I could reach in for water changing etc, they never bothered to move. I worried about that at first but they were fine.

After a few years I added them to a 40g, 4ft tank with some black kuhlis. The oblonga (black) pangios) were always hyperactive. The striped stayed mellow & would wait at the doorway end of the tank for food.

Cool fish! Yes, get more!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Wow is that ever interesting. Havent seen that before!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store