large old man made pond what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
I don't think driving a car out onto the ice is such a great idea. It's not a woman thing, it's a common sense thing. Wait for a sunny day (if we ever get one) get some pics and send them to my email. I can put them thru PhotoShop, edit contrast, etc. and size them so that everyone here can see. We want to know!! Especially if you catch a ten foot snakehead walking on earth!! Or a croc like Harry Tolen had :eek:

TJcanada

AC Members
If the pond has pretty much a constant level then I would assume that it is some how getting replenished by ground water somewhere, or run off......?

I agree that pump size wouldn't make a dent in this volume of water... check out http://www.wlimproducts.com/ and/or http://www.oasepumps.com/ for something with more punch - laugna is pretty limited and wouldn't be my first choice. Adding a water fall and/or stream feature I think would also be better than a fountain - you might even consider the addition of a few diffusers( http://www.vertexwaterfeatures.com/wn1000.html ). Plantings would greatly help..... floating and potted/planted - such as rushes/grasses, iris's, hyacinths/water lettuce/water celery and possibly a few water lilies(but the depth is an issue, they shouldn't be more than 4ft deep at the crown) - look around you're area for native water loving plants - I really think this pond is wonderful and should stay looking as natural as possible.

*having seen this pond under snow* It's quite large and I would love to see it in the summer time. BTW Judy and your wife are quite right, drivin' on it wouldn't be a good thing...;)

I don't see a problem with fish over wintering in this pond - the depth itself is a grand plus - the bottom should be atleast 4-8 degrees warmer than the surface - and with a very low strocking density there may not even be a need to bother with keeping the suface open(especially if there is a natural water source coming in somewhere below the surface) .... but I wouldn't say that's a definate with out knowing more about the system as a whole. As far as what stock to put in it - well it's large enough to have a variety - you might want to consider some sort of "preditor" fish just to keep down the goldfish and or koi population - I wouldn't want to be trying to cull in a pond that size(although it's do-able).

I would like to hear a little more about this lake
TJ

Shay

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Here in Texas, the State will provide all of the information needed to make this type of pond healthy. In fact, they will even provide the fish in some cases. I have a friend who is going through this now.

It's easiest to work on an empty pond as it is being filled, but I'm sure that a full pond can be reclaimed with a little more effort.

Completely different climate I know, but my grandfather has a healthy pond in Texas which is at least 12' deep. With the proper plants and conditions, the oxygen will circulate even to the bottom without mechanical circulation according to the literature he has.

Native fish would probably be the best way to go, but if carp are native to your area, then koi should function fine as a part of your pond ecosystem. Here, carp and humpback catfish will be present in any healthy pond. The birds carry their eggs. Bass must be added to control catfish populations.

-Shay

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by somefinnfishy
I have a 100foot x 50foot pond in my yard it looks like a swamp but is like 12' deep ....... will post pics as soon as I learn how.
Some lakes here have a maximum depth of 12 feet!

Sounds like a nice pond project your have...!

I'm not sure, but with that depth, you should not have to worry about fish kills due to freezing weather. That also depends on species.

Did I read correctly, you don't know how to post pics?? Would be nice to see this 'pond'! :)

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Yes I'm dumb:rolleyes: Me and my wife have tryed for hours to downsize our pics we end up with ziped files we cant open:mad:
Our camera softwear is arcsoft photoimpression 2000.
I'm new to a computer.She is OK even taken some microsoft classes but never used windows XP before.
as for the pond I understand the nutrient prob I think a 6" layer of dead oak leaves floating on the surface every year might cause probs.It has basicaly peat like black soil all the way around I want to do a ph check I'll bet 6.0 or lower.
BTW guys I've had like 4 70degre days and still no open water we normaly have like 20-24" of ice this time of year.
A hundred miles north they drive school buses over the ice to save thirty minutes morning and night or the ferry dont run so they have to bus.Basicaly I grew up driving on frozen lakes I've logged at least 1000 miles on ice where else can a teenager place his "ice fishing house"and party every day for 4 months

TJcanada

AC Members
somefinnfishy.. send me your photos again... as attachments in the email and I will fix them up.. I have the same software that you have plus several others... doesn't matter if the photos are in a zip file or not I can work with them either way.
Happy to help:D

As for driving on ice... been there, grew up doing it - but I still wouldn't drive your vehical out on your pond.. you never know if there are "soft spots" and who needs the headache of towing a few tons out of freezing water;)

TJ

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Yes I know no pond-small lake is safe.
I actualy own a ice auger I drilled like a week ago by where the water seeps in and had 14" and like 12"in the middle.
I'm not takeing any pics now YUCK yellow leaf stained ice and barren landscape.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by somefinnfishy
....I'm not takeing any pics now YUCK yellow....stained ice ....
Yellow?! :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store