Leaky Eheim 2217, bad o-ring

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I meant not screwed in far enough...
If it is you only need ±1" of teflon tape, wind 1 layer around the thread. Sure it shouldn't leak out of the box but plumbers/mechanics use teflon tape all the time with new fittings. Over the years it can wear out, the gasket/o rings dry up, over the past 3 decades I did stuff like that on those classic Eheims, it's no big deal just regular maintenance. Once they operate without leaking you don't have to worry about it, they don't spring a leak just like that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If the Teflon tape doesn't work you can try a plumbing supply place (not a big box), they have all sizes of O-rings...if they're open these days.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
On all my Eheim classic filters the elbow doesn't thread in as far as yours so I'm not sure if there has been a change or what.

I have seen some suggest to use a bit of Teflon tape on the fitting threads and it has worked for them. However, the threads are actually not doing any sealing by design, they are just there to screw the fitting into the housing and the o-ring is actually doing the sealing. Just be careful to not use too much tape if you choose as there is the potential to crack the filter housing if it is too thick.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You might be right the threads aren't designed to seal, but I once tried a new Eheim o ring and it made no difference, still leaked so I used teflon tape. It makes a difference as well how far the elbow is screwed in, if it isn't tight enough it will still leak.
There is also a difference in quality between the original Eheims made in the 80's like I have and the new "classic" Eheims same design, but not the same quality.
Luckily this only comes up when installing/cleaning, once they go they don't leak by themselves, like the newer rectangular Eheims :confused:

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
Just received direct reply from Eheim themselves...

"There is in fact an o-ring on the inlet but it I do not have a replacement part number for it, your best bet would be to try and match one up at local auto parts store or hardware store."

Doh!

P.s., yeah I've read that Eheim classics now use far inferior materials compared to decades ago. This is very unfortunate and sad.

• Sad
Reactions: dudley

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The sturdiness of this stuff has definitely taken a hit over the years. I think the new Eheim classics are made in China. Of course the origin isn't the issue, it's the cost cutting from the company.

Probably a silly question, but are you positive it's coming from the threaded area and not from above and dripping down? Canister leaks can be tricky.

Reactions: dudley

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
Absolutely, the quality and cost-cutting in most cases are pushed by the company, NOT the manufacturers such as in China. Thank you for seeing it that way.

Pretty positive about the leak from elbow because the puddle trailed from there. After some random small twists back and forth the seal seems to have stabilized, for now. No other leakage occurred anywhere else.

The sturdiness of this stuff has definitely taken a hit over the years. I think the new Eheim classics are made in China. Of course the origin isn't the issue, it's the cost cutting from the company.

Probably a silly question, but are you positive it's coming from the threaded area and not from above and dripping down? Canister leaks can be tricky.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Frustrating either way.

The canister I have in a hardwood floor room I keep in a bucket just in case. If you want to get fancy, toss one of those small battery operated water leak detectors in the bucket so it will chirp if water builds up in the bucket/container.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store