Learning How To Breed...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
In a couple of years I hope to start breeding and raising Tilapia on my little farm. I am not in a position now or next year to deal with such a large fish - I will be an apartment dweller. Is there another member of the cichlid family that similar breeding habits that I can practice on/with? I have raised fish for many years, but never bred them with intent - some of them did that all by themselves :p

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never kept tilapia but I imagine they are bred similar to other cichlids, just big. Not too difficult. According to google there are several species & maybe genera, considered "tilapia" now. I remember seeing them 30-40 years ago but more as a large pet fish not a food fish. I don't know what species they were.

What is your goal with keeping them? Food? Pets? An apartment will severely effect your options...& I've never considered eating them or any other aquaria fish I'd want to keep, although many are food in some places.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Thanks! My immediate goal is simply to learn how to efficiently breed fish. They will be used in my apartment as pets. In a couple of years, when I leave China, I will be raising them for food.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Then maybe you should start with other cichlids just to see how it works breeding them if you haven't tried any. We bred kribensis, blue acaras & firemouths back in the day (a long time ago). All were easy & similar in behavior. So were apistogrammas. Are any of those easy to find...& sell, in China? I'm in the US & have no idea what you may have available...

You may just want to google search "tilapia breeding" to get a better idea of what you will eventually need after you move. Like I said, they get big! But I don't know how fast that may happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store