Led

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I'm curious on everyone's thoughts on LEDs. I'm looking at putting 2 radions over my 90 reef build. I am a gimmicky guy and enjoy the cloud and storm features of the ecotech line. My question is for a 90 mixed reef, what are your opinions regarding the best leds, and best bang for the buck? 1200 is about the limit for lighting on this tank. I am not willing to loose the shimmer, so t5 alone is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dobber

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Madison, WI
I just replaced my 40 watt 7 yr old hood/light after putting in plants and seeing some negative effects with them.

I put in Aqueon's Modular 48" LED unit, it had 2 expansion units, of which I filled one right away. Each bulb had 7 watt rating, 9000 Kelvin rating. I'd have to look up the PAR rating, but it was something around 23 each. Unit was at PetSmart for $100. Additional bulb was around $40. I am waiting to determine plant growth benefit to decide if I need the 3rd or if I want to get a color max bulb, or nothing at all.

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Radions are definitely top notch and 2 of them will be more than you would ever need on a 90 for any type of coral, so if you go that route I have no doubt you will be a happy camper as far as lighting goes. Problem is, there is no way you are going to get 2 of them for under $1200, at least not the new XR30w Pro ones that come with the better selection of LEDs and optics, which go for $899 each.

Maxspect Razor R420R is my favorite fixture, I like the features and cost. You can get 2 of those for a 48" tank for under $1000.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I honestly was just going to go with the 2G. As was unsure if the pro model was worth the extra cash. If needs e I can put the upgrade kit on them, but with 2 I doubt it's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
The problem with the G2 model is it lacks all spectrum under 450nm (royal blue). Their graph that they show is very misleading because royal blue is the lowest spectrum LED in the G2 fixture, and they are very monochromatic, having a bandwith of usually less than 10 nanometers, and usually falls between 450-460nm for most bins from Cree. 410-430nm (Actinic) is an extremely important spectrum for the health of a reef tank. The Pro model does fill in those gaps, which is why I think it is an excellent, although very expensive light. I honestly wouldn't recommend the G2 because of that major shortcoming, I think it is that important.

G2 Specs
http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/radion-xr30w/

Pro Specs
http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/radion-xr30w-pro/

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
Have you looked at the actual output in PUR of the EcoTech line?

While these have a lot of nice bells and whistles, these do fall short on PUR (photosynthetically active radiation)

Also if I am correct, I believe these use current reduction instead of the better PWM for controlling emitters

See this article: http://aap.atrixnet.com/?p=338

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The original post is a little over 6 months old. A lot has changed since then in the world of LEDs in that time. The Radion Pros have since hit the market and do';t seem to fall short on PAR compared to other high end fixtures. No way i would spend that kind of money when there are still better or at least equal options out there but the Pros are a nice light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store