Letting Water Sit ..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Davey

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
I heard that if you let water sit for 24 hours its all right to put in your tank ? if this is true whitch is better to do using aqua safe or another chemical that eliminates all of the chrlorine and such or just letting the water sit ?

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
Either way is good. If you have the time and enough buckets to fill what your gonan take out let it sit. Aqua safe or stress coat does same thing. I personally use stress coat as the water is entering from the python. Both ways work just fine.

Davey

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Does aqua safe mess around with the ph ? i tested the ph of my water and its 7.0 i filled up a jug of water to put in my aquarium and put some aqua safe in and it was very low 6.2 ? is that normal ?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
just leaving water in a bucket doesnt do anything...

you need to airate it to get the chlorine out.

chloramines dont evaporate though...

eywses

AC Members
Sep 18, 2002
PA
Visit site
Letting the water sit will let the chlorine come out of the water, but I don't think that chloramine will come out on it's own if that's what your water company uses. I don't have a container to let water sit out overnight for a water change, so I just add water conditioner right before the water is added back in. I guess that avoiding chemicals when you can must be good, but I've never had a problem with using water conditioner.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I would recommend a combination of both. Fill your refill bucket with water, add some stress coat (or the dechlor of your choice) to it, and then let it sit for a few hours, stirring it occasionally to expose more chlorine to the air. The chemical will take most of the chlorine out, and letting it sit will remove any traces the treatment leaves behind, allowing you to use less of the treatment chemical and saving yourself a little money, while still giving you fairly rapid removal of the chlorine. At least, that's what I do...

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by DodgeIntrepidV6
I thought most water companies don't use chloramine..is that true?
more and more do every year.

wetmanNY

AC Members
No. It's up to you to find out for yourself, though.

It never matters what most water companies do. It only matters what your water company is currently doing. They tend to switch to chloramine without announcing it as a headline in the local paper. It's easy to check it out on line.

Big Kid

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
i uasually fill my buckets in the shower and let them sit without a lid for a couple days. Then i add aqua plus and put the lid on. then sit another couple of days. Then add them to my tank. i have two 5g buckets for my 29g tank and rotate every other week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store