LFS selling tropical fish that are kept in coldwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
Depending on size, the pump that is being used to run a central filtration system may provide enough heat to warm the tank(s) water as well.

We have a system like that - the pump is oversized and it keeps the water quite warm...too warm actually. We are getting ready to downsize it I think.

just my 2 cents.

Blue goldfish

AC Members
Sep 15, 2002
TN
No there is no main filtration system. All the tanks contain things that resemble a sponge filter, with an airstone powering it. Though some of the tanks containing guppies or paradise fish/gouramis are heated by visible heaters but also contain the same filtration method. I don't know why, but a while back (before i began researching and becoming an expert) when we set up a fish tank for my dad, we bought fish from them and we're stupidly coiled into a UGF. We got a molly, guppy, betta, and angelfish. They said that they went well together. Wrong. Betta died, Molly killed the guppy and the angelfish also died. And then the molly died. I refuse to buy any tropical fish from them except for bettas or coldwater fish. I don't buy fish supplies from them either unless it's fish food. The filters they sell are very expensive. Instead i go to another LFS with quality stock and very nice and experienced store owners.

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
MY LFS uses all hang on the back filters, emperors I believe. They have the best fish in the region. A little expensive though

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I went to the LFS today and made it a point to check out his aquarium setup. He has individual power filters on each tank and I didn't see any with heaters. He only has 20-25 tanks, so it's not a huge operation. A few of the tanks had thermometers in them and all the ones I saw were sitting at around 70 degrees.

He keeps the tanks rather clean (gravel and glass), but most of his power filters were in very sad shape. Some had biowheels on them, but they were so encrusted with stuff that they didn't even turn anymore.

I have bought several fish there and never had a fatality yet, so I guess even though the situation isn't ideal, he's doing an ok job :)

mwood322

AC Members
My favorite fish store heats the room, and uses air driven sponge filters in each tank. They almost never get ick, and if they do, it is limited to that tank. I never agree with Centralized filtration for this reason. With that system, one tank gets ick, they all get ick. I buy most of my stock at this store, and haven't lost a fish from there, barring the poor one who was killed by a weird fungus from Petco.

--Mia

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
My lfs tanks needs no heater,maybe because the country is all warm and humid,but the fish get icks alot because they use central filtration but not all of the fishes get ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store