Lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
All,

I have a 38g tank, in process of being set up as a reef.

Lighting is currently a dial bulb MH fixture, but there's nothing for actinic lighting and I think I would quite like to have some.

It's a standard 38g tank, so 36x12" footprint (give or take) and budget is a concern too as I don't think this tank will be set up for the long haul so cheaper options are preferred.

that being said... Does anyone have any good suggestions for adding actinic light to this setup? My thought had been for a finnex ray2 to run alongside the halides, but hadn't thought that it would be ~$150

so, anyone have any inexpensive suggestions to add a little blue to my tank?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Probably a dumb idea, but maybe something as simple as a blue piece of glass between the bulbs and tank? I don't know if that'd affect PAR in any meaningful matter, or if that'd give you any specific types of light you'd get out of the actinic, but if it's merely a cosmetic effect you're looking for, would that suffice?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Not necessarily what I was looking for.

I would like the ability to be able to control them separately, I'm not an expert, but I assume there's a reason that they make halide fixtures with T5 lights for the actinic spectrum.

But thanks for the thought.. :) It wasn't something I'd considered.. just not something I would expect to work, unless someone can come along and speak with some authority on the subject.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Well I suppose the cheapest option is to get a 36inch T8 fluorescent fixture and a corallife actinic t8 bulb. 16$ on Amazon for the strip light and 11$ for the bulb from drfostersmith .

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think I'm going to need to measure and see what would fit...

but, I will be moving rock into the tank later, and hopefully not a mantis shrimp.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
ecoxotic stunner LED strip might do the trick. Like $70ish.
If all you are looking for is a viewing light for mornings/evenings, then a stunner will work and probably would be your cheapest option.

However, if you want some actinics on with the halide, the stunner will do little to nothing. Also, if you plan on mounting anything to your halide fixture, these LEDs lifespan would be cut in half due to the heat.

This is another option for viewing light. A 24" version attached several inches above your tank will light up an entire 36x12 tank. Again, don;t expect to notice much when the halides are on.

If you are looking for something to be on with your halide and make a difference, you'll want higher power LEDs on a good quality heatsink with good drivers. That or add 2 x T5HO bulbs via retrofit kit.

What's your fixture look like now and how were you planning on supporting the actinic lighting?

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
Your likely going to have to pay over $100 for a good light to compliment your Metal Halide.

LED is an option and probably my favorite for the last few years.
As already stated though, for a good quality light, good heat sinks and drivers are important (which includes the use of PWM)

My personal recommendation if the TMC Fiji Blue Actinic, this provide a very nice deep blue to slight purple color and has a clean light output

Reference:
http://aquarium-digest.com/2010/06/30/led-light-review-tmc-xg-1500-maxspect-more/

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Might want to consider selling the halides and starting over with the lighting with something more suiting. You may spend more then you want now but you're saving $100 every several months by not having to replace 2 halides, and saving $20 per t5ho every year.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
OK,

the fixture in question is a Current Sunpod, 2x150w MH. Currently fitted with 14000K bulbs, and a pair of replacement bulbs are sitting on a basement shelf currently also.

I'm not expecting this to be a long term setup, so would rather work with what I have than start afresh with new lighting if I'm expecting to have this setup for less than a year.

I would like actinic lighting to supplement the halides, but wish so many questions, it is seeming more and more like it isn't necessary.. so what would I gain from having actinic lighting complementing the halides?

as for setup, the halides are on feet on the tank top, so anything else would need to be on the glass top; I don't think that anything suspended would work too well.

It's seeming more and more like the best option would be to go with the halides alone, I thought there might have been a nice simple solution.

But thanks for all the help and ideas everyone :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store