lima shovelnose feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shmeeb001

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
i've been feeding my lima guppies and tuffies, but can't get him to accept any non-live food. i've tried hikari sinking waffers and pellets, silversides and shrimp (my jordan's cat developed a taste for them so i thought i'd give it a go), and frozen clumps of brine shrimp. he tried the pellets and waffers and spat them out, wouldn't even go near the other stuff. i tried not feeding him for a couple of days to make him less discriminating, with no success. in case you're wondering i know he's not eating any of it because it is still in the tank the next morning. has anyone had any luck with any particular food, or am i stuck getting live food every week?

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Well, we started in on this topic on this thread:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3744

But let me say this as well: you don't have to feed your lima every single week. Catfish actually do better when they have "pauses" in their feeding schedule. Wait til every other or every third week before you feed them live food. It will make the limas less discriminatory against eating flake or pellet food, and they'll be in better health (you CAN kill a fish by overfeeding).

Also, if you're going to be feeding live food, either find a reliable supplier of live, un-diseased food, or start your own feeder tank. Live food is great for predatory fish, but it's also an open window for disease and parasites.

mooseman

518 and counting!
Nov 27, 2002
Utah
Visit site
Hey, for what it's worth,

I feed my lima beef heart and he eats it like crazy. He did eat a few live fish at first (ones he wasn't supposed to, like by 3 inch balas) but went right for the beef heart. I know he likes it because he will actually come out of hiding to get some and he is never, shall we say, skinny looking.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store