Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

list the fastest and slowest growing commonly kept fish

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Hans, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Hans

Hans I will eat your fish.

Sep 29, 2004
    i would say
    slowest growing: bala sharks, calvus, hmm, actualy thats about all i can think of right now

fastest: oscars! live bearer youths, pacu, silver dollar!

2. mogurnda

mogurnda vaguely present

Sep 24, 2014
    another contender, fastest: tinfoil barbs

3. daveedka

daveedka Purple is the color of Royalty

Apr 11, 2011
    Hybrid Sunfish :laugh: :laugh: O.K. As far as aquarium fish, I would have to say Oscars, TF barbs, or maybe Tiger shovelnose. Slowest growing, I don't really know, but I have had some blue gourami's that never seemed to change size in less than a couple of years.

4. blitzen25bm

blitzen25bm AC Members

Dec 31, 2006
    fastest growing feeder goldfish
    slowest clown loaches

5. meangene714

meangene714 AC Members

Jan 19, 2010
    Fastest: peacock bass, may not be a commonly kept aquarium fish, but several LFS around me stock them, and I've sucessfully kept them.
    Slowest: hillstream loach (butterfly loach), I've had mine for 2 months now and I've never even seen them eat. I've heard that they are not, in fact algae eaters, and if they were, I don't even have any algae in my tank.

6. Shekoi

Shekoi Trying to start up again

Jan 3, 2009
    Fastest i've had are goldfish and danios (fry to adult).

hillstream loaches don't grow fat at all. they love algae tablets and i wet flakes before putting them in tank so they sink, then the loaches swim around jumping on the flakes and eating them, it's fun to watch.

7. Lila

Lila Boston!

Aug 3, 2015
    I've had a bristlenose pleco that's grown a 1/4 inch in over one year. He's on my list of slow.

Lila;)

8. Hans

Hans I will eat your fish.

Sep 29, 2004
    why dont places sell native american fish? are they too ugly?

9. daveedka

daveedka Purple is the color of Royalty

Apr 11, 2011
    As a rule, most places you go in the world (with a few exceptions) You won't see native fish in the aquarium hobby. I don't know why but that just seems to be the way of it Some American fish are absolutely georgeous, but most that I have kept are far to big and messy for my tanks. The channel cat is a good example, and probably one of the few you will see in pet stores. I have kept Bluegill bass, catfish. and even minnows and chubs. Not much color, mean fish, and most except for minnows and chubs get too big. I've always thought it would be fun to try Golden or Blue shiners since they get pretty and don't get too big.

10. dwf73

dwf73 Gold Dragon

Dec 26, 2004
    Perhaps because the market demand is overwhelmingly in favor of tropical fish as opposed to coldwater, LFS' do not wish to stock as many "American" fish, since most regions in the US are not tropical (are any? dont know my US geography- Slipknottin, what are the US southern latitudes)??? Just an idea anyway...maybe a bit far fetched

#10 dwf73, Apr 1, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2004