Little black spots that seem to jump in water and out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

faolteam

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2021
I had a floating container with corydodas eggs in it when 8 was checking eggs today I noticed these really small like dust particles, unfortunately I bought water sprite plant yesterday completely forgot to wash it off in old aquarium water,

is this some infestation I only noticed in this container haven’t noticed in tank yet , but I did notice small snails in the aquarium that plants were in

I’d appreciate any help thanks for your forum

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Water fleas? If thats what you have they're not a big deal...More surprising than a problem as far as I know, even with eggs. They just jump at the surface...

Last edited:

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
No, no water fleas (Daphnia spp.). Those are much larger, swimming crustaceans (Cladocera).
I believe the poster is referring instead to a small insect(?) that often comes associated with various floating plants. They are minuscule (whereas water fleas are 1-2, mm, or larger ,depending on species), less than 1mm, gray/black, jumpy little things, moving among the surface of the water plants. Water fleas, don't jump and are always in the water column, surface or otherwise. The little jumpy things are harmless as far as I know, and I have them (or sometimes I see them) in my floating frogbit. They are not a concern.

faolteam

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2021
No, no water fleas (Daphnia spp.). Those are much larger, swimming crustaceans (Cladocera).
I believe the poster is referring instead to a small insect(?) that often comes associated with various floating plants. They are minuscule (whereas water fleas are 1-2, mm, or larger ,depending on species), less than 1mm, gray/black, jumpy little things, moving among the surface of the water plants. Water fleas, don't jump and are always in the water column, surface or otherwise. The little jumpy things are harmless as far as I know, and I have them (or sometimes I see them) in my floating frogbit. They are not a concern.
Thanks folks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store