live plant tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boydanny

AC Members
Apr 16, 2018
If I have a 40 gallon aquarium set up with live plants and add a cory catfish will they disturb the plants

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depends on the plants, and if they have established decent roots too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Typically fast growing stem plants would be the most active and produce the most oxygen.

It's not that easy though.. You need the proper equipment and setup for them.

We need to know what type of lighting and substrate you have, plus the level of care you wish to put into the plants/setup.

boydanny

AC Members
Apr 16, 2018
Typically fast growing stem plants would be the most active and produce the most oxygen.

It's not that easy though.. You need the proper equipment and setup for them.

We need to know what type of lighting and substrate you have, plus the level of care you wish to put into the plants/setup.
I have fluorite substate using daylight florescent light

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The best would be whatever grows quickly in your environment.

You normally want to be more worried about how much nitrogen they will use rather than oxygen they will produce.. unless you are having problems with gasping fish.

But you can likely add more plants than just ones that oxygenate well... And ones you like.

I have never worried about oxygenating a tank, with plants or with an airstone, or whatever. Your fish may need it.. I generally keep ones that don't.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Only my hillstream loaches & gobies need extra oxygen or water movement. I can grow lots of plants without high light or co2...you can too!

Depending on your lighting, etc, you may well have trouble with many "ground cover" plants. Clovers (marislea sp.) or smaller cyptocorynes may work well. Hairgrass & dwarf baby tears will not IME. A few stems are fairly easy, maybe "too" easy, plan on lots of trimming.

Is you tank a 40g long (48" x 12 x 16" tall) or a "breeder" (36 x 15 x 16?)?

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store