Long time away from aquariums, coming back with planted.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
I've been doing a lot of reading about various plants and came across seed packs on Ebay.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-Aquar...552607?hash=item3f83b4049f:g:OakAAOSwzRlZhkGj
Anyone use these before to start out? I have a 20g I want to start with, will be moving late this spring, hopefully. SO I don't want to start a big tank just yet.
Not sure I want to buy any plants from my local fish stores, 2 are chain stores with a slim selection, the other I always see dead fish in their tanks and didn't notice if they even had plants. So, it looks like I'm going to have to order them.
Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never tried plants from seed, it doesn't sound easy. But glosso isn't too hard to find for sale in pots online I think, for a similar price or less (plus shipping , of course). I've grown it in a 20g long with 2 T-5 NO bulbs...but it gets shaded out after a while by other plants. It's pretty slow growing for me but not as slow as marisleas (clovers) or as "needy" of co2 & ferts as HC (dwarf baby tears) but similar-ish looking.

In NY I'd wait to order until it warms up in spring, really, after you move. You don't need extra stuff to worry about. Do more research on plants & scaping you like, an all glosso tank might be cool! But I need variety, lol. Luckily I belong to a plant club.

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
I've quite a bit of planting from seed but it's of the solid ground variety, didn't know if aquatic would be any different, or less successful. I like the looks of the glosso, especially knowing I'm not going to be able to care for HC until I can get set up with CO2. I plan on buying decent LED lights to begin with. All the fixtures I have now are the plain CF types.
I seen a tank that was all HC that did look nice, but I also need variety lol. I thought for the time being to add some taller plants to break it up some.

I'm not to concerned about moving this tank when the time comes, BTDT before. But our weather has been crazy. Weeks of temps below 10, then up in the 40's. It's supposed to be in the 40's again this week. Crazy.

I still need to buy a new TDS meter, new test kits, etc etc. I sold all of my aquarium stuff a long time ago when I was having water problems. Going to use a different water source this time. Never did find the problem last time. For what I was quoted for an in depth test I got disgusted and sold everything to another local fish keeper.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
bren, welcome back!

I'm not a planted tank expert and most of my tank's plants started life as a pathetic plastic tube or bag plant from Petco or PetSmart. I have no experience with starting them from seeds.

A lot of aquatic plants can be started immersed, where just the rooted part stays under water. That might be a route for you to research.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I meant aquarium plants from seed, lol. I think they're quite different than terrestrial plants but really, I have no idea.

What substrate will you be using? That might matter too. I've never tried potting soil, it sounds like a mess waiting to happen...but I'm a bottom feeder fish lover, I'm all about loaches, corys, etc...& plants :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Welcome back bren! I've never tried seeds myself because my research told me it was not at all worth it, quite a low success rate. There are tons of online vendors for good plants these days. I can't exactly recommend one cause I rarely buy new stuff though. Local clubs are always a good bet for plants and fish and good times.

Water problems are the worst! And testing can be quite expensive. Good luck with your new source!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think it may be easier to just buy the plants. I have never tried seeds.

Reactions: bren

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
Thanks for the welcome backs, and added advice.
I should have mentioned I will be using a substrate for planted aquariums such as what Fluval or Seachem offer. I have been looking at some sellers on Ebay and found some in the Jersey/NYC area that ship in insulated boxes and have good reviews, so I may go that way.
Using a good substrate I may just try some seeds to cure my curiosity, they're cheap anyway lol. And also buy some plants when I'm sure our weather isn't going to dip into the single digits again... well, that'll be again this week :D

We used to have a decent LFS in Binghamton but they went out of business a while ago :(
The closest fish club is about an hour away unfortunately. I should watch Craigslist to see if there's anyone in the area selling plants, I do see fish every so often when I remember to look.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
bren, if you're anywhere near Buffalo, I can give you some bunches basic stuff like crypts and java fern. Plus some filter sponge or bio media to start your tank.

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
Thanks for the offer, Joel, it's much appreciated. But I'm about 4 hours away, 15 minutes north of Binghamton. I'm sure I'll find something local to me. I've done a lot of business with the last private owned LFS in the past, they probably have local connections. I just don't care for their stock any more. I used to buy a lot of marine stuff there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store