Long time away from aquariums, coming back with planted.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you. There's maybe 4 LFS in a 50mi radius of me, when years ago there were dozens. Two are only 10 miles away or so. Their stock typically isn't all that impressive, but they'll order anything you want. It's a shame they can't compete with Petsmart, Petco and Pet Supplies Plus (among others) these days.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would expect the risk with buying seeds would be if they would really be what you ordered.

If I were gonna grow from seed, I would expect I would put the substrate in the aquarium, set up with any hardscape I wanted and just toss the seed on top of the substrate.. add water so the substrate was damp,cover the aquarium with plastic wrap and water sometimes so it didn't dry out and add a light.

It's not difficult to get them to grow, read up on the dry start method for aquarium plants.. and you just need to grow so they sprout and grow good root systems... And maybe spread if needed.

Not the easiest option.. and won't let you keep any fish in the short term, or cycle the aquarium either... But it works.

Reactions: bren

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
I hear you. There's maybe 4 LFS in a 50mi radius of me, when years ago there were dozens. Two are only 10 miles away or so. Their stock typically isn't all that impressive, but they'll order anything you want. It's a shame they can't compete with Petsmart, Petco and Pet Supplies Plus (among others) these days.
As a rule I never go to Petsmart or Petco, walked through them a couple times in the past but that's it. However Petco is having the $1 gallon sale so maybe I should see what else they have :)

I would expect the risk with buying seeds would be if they would really be what you ordered.

If I were gonna grow from seed, I would expect I would put the substrate in the aquarium, set up with any hardscape I wanted and just toss the seed on top of the substrate.. add water so the substrate was damp,cover the aquarium with plastic wrap and water sometimes so it didn't dry out and add a light.

It's not difficult to get them to grow, read up on the dry start method for aquarium plants.. and you just need to grow so they sprout and grow good root systems... And maybe spread if needed.

Not the easiest option.. and won't let you keep any fish in the short term, or cycle the aquarium either... But it works.
That's a good point, knowing the seed, but may not be an issue from a seller with good ratings.
Maybe a good trial would be to plant a dozen or so in a covered cup, proper substrate included of course. Would give an idea how well they grow and what could be improved.
I'll read into this more and probably hit up YouTube ;)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just be sure to use a substrate that contains nutrients... don't use something inert.

Thee 'bagged' plants from Petco or PetSmart should be fine too.. if they look healthy... They are gonna be tissue cultured plants. And you can split the contents of the bag into a bunch of plants and they should grow/propogate quickly from there. I have had great luck with them in the past

You should be able to look up details on them online, including videos and whatever.. there are plenty of guides in using them. If you catch them when they are having a big sale the value is great too!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
As a rule I never go to Petsmart or Petco, walked through them a couple times in the past but that's it. However Petco is having the $1 gallon sale so maybe I should see what else they have :)
Those $1/gal sales are nice and I've seen them include 75g in this sale recently at some stores. Can't beat it for 29, 55 and 75.

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
Just be sure to use a substrate that contains nutrients... don't use something inert.

Thee 'bagged' plants from Petco or PetSmart should be fine too.. if they look healthy... They are gonna be tissue cultured plants. And you can split the contents of the bag into a bunch of plants and they should grow/propogate quickly from there. I have had great luck with them in the past

You should be able to look up details on them online, including videos and whatever.. there are plenty of guides in using them. If you catch them when they are having a big sale the value is great too!
From my reading I figured a nutrient rich substrate would be best. I've seen some do it in inert substrate but why add problems for me to overcome.
Next time I'm downtown I'll stop in one of those pet stores and see what they have to offer. I seen they show them on their websites and say they stock beginner type plants. They have a sale on fish right now but I'm going to hold off on them until I get the plant part going, and living lol.

Those $1/gal sales are nice and I've seen them include 75g in this sale recently at some stores. Can't beat it for 29, 55 and 75.
Right now their $1g sale is only for up to 29g, but they do have half off up to 75g. This summer I'll watch to see if they have a $1g on the bigger tanks, I'd love to have a 75g. Probably find something on Craigslist by then though.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Right now their $1g sale is only for up to 29g, but they do have half off up to 75g. This summer I'll watch to see if they have a $1g on the bigger tanks, I'd love to have a 75g. Probably find something on Craigslist by then though.
Half off should work out to be about the same since retail on Aqueon/Central garden and pet 75g tanks is around $140-150.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
From my reading I figured a nutrient rich substrate would be best. I've seen some do it in inert substrate but why add problems for me to overcome.
Next time I'm downtown I'll stop in one of those pet stores and see what they have to offer. I seen they show them on their websites and say they stock beginner type plants. They have a sale on fish right now but I'm going to hold off on them until I get the plant part going, and living lol.

When it comes to substrates.. you can have totally inert, not having any nutrients but having a high CEC to hold them, or having nutrients in them already.

Inert isn't worth your time with plants.. unless you are going to be doing things that will feed from the water column.

Things like aquasoil and other such nutrient rich substrates can get to be kind of expensive, depending how much you need

Something with high CEC, can get more expensive.. say eco complete or flourite or whatever.. but you can go the DIY route, and go for something like safeTsorb from tractor supply

Another option is to use dirt capped with sand or whatever.. it works well, but IME gets to be messy if you replant stuff.

Read up on it a bit.. and see if you can join a local aquarium plant group (I'm a member of a couple) you are likely to get the best help in person, and they will know of local suppliers and possibly have group buys too.

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
When it comes to substrates.. you can have totally inert, not having any nutrients but having a high CEC to hold them, or having nutrients in them already.

Inert isn't worth your time with plants.. unless you are going to be doing things that will feed from the water column.

Things like aquasoil and other such nutrient rich substrates can get to be kind of expensive, depending how much you need

Something with high CEC, can get more expensive.. say eco complete or flourite or whatever.. but you can go the DIY route, and go for something like safeTsorb from tractor supply

Another option is to use dirt capped with sand or whatever.. it works well, but IME gets to be messy if you replant stuff.

Read up on it a bit.. and see if you can join a local aquarium plant group (I'm a member of a couple) you are likely to get the best help in person, and they will know of local suppliers and possibly have group buys too.
I'll definitely read up on this more. At $40 a bag the Aqua Soil is expensive, needing at least 2 bags. I never would have though you could use safe t sorb, I'll search for more info on that but I would imagine there's gotta be something added to it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store