• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Long time no update - killifish tank

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Hey all! For those that remember I had gotten a tank and some sand for free to rehome these mangrove killifish that were bred for a genetic study. But I was having pH problems, I talked to a few people that keep tanks locally and based on their experience, just decided to buffer with a bit of baking soda with every water change and that seems to be keeping the pH at about 7.4. I picked up the fish a few months back after battling some bad algae that came with some plants my supervisor gave me. You can tell from the pic today that the algae is back lol. I usually just pluck as much as I can when I do a water change, which I really need to do today. But anyway, here's the cute little killifish. They're very friendly and beg for food a lot, if I'm sitting on the couch they'll start jumping against the lid to beg for food. IMG_20180322_155315_663.jpg 20180606_180633.jpg

Rbishop

...and over the edge.
Staff member
sigh...no Oscar? :p

Tifftastic

Hahaha wouldn't that be fun in a ten gallon tank?! I did almost get talked into taking home some of my brevis shellies and I was soooo tempted to set up a new tank. . . but that's probs the biggest cichlid I would get ;)

Tifftastic

They're so cute. They make my day when I get up and they all come out and beg for food. Its good to be back! Things have been crazy and I didn't have enough spoons to visit. But I've managed to settle things and now have time and spoons to be back =)

fishorama

AC Members
"spoons" must Scottish for b**ls, eh? (with a Canadian accent, lol...or could be money or time I guess...). I've been told I have a Canadian accent but I'm from Michigan originally (ok, practically Canada to some that don't know any better ;)).

Tifftastic

"spoons" must Scottish for b**ls, eh? (with a Canadian accent, lol...or could be money or time I guess...). I've been told I have a Canadian accent but I'm from Michigan originally (ok, practically Canada to some that don't know any better ;)).
Haha I like the translation lol! Its actually from a mental health analogy that I read awhile ago that is the best way to describe what it feels like to give away all of your energy. It goes that basically, I have a pile of spoons and someone comes up and says "wow, you have so many spoons, can I have one?" and of course I say sure and I give it away. But also getting up in the morning costs a spoon, dealing with bills costs a couple of spoons, saying hi to people at work costs a couple, being at work costs even more. By the end of the day I have no spoons left to give and I have to do things, like paint, or just be alone to gain back spoons. Because the interactions with people that should give me more spoons takes a lot away from me.

I always call the midwest accent a baby Canadian accent lol. I wish I had a Scottish accent so badly, I just have the neutral west coast US accent that is so boring. . .

fishorama

AC Members
TY for the "spoons" explanation, Tiff. As you can see, left to my imagination, there's no telling what might come up!

Back to accents, I only sounded Canadian on the US East coast. In CA I sound almost "native"...or at least within normal Nor Cal parameters, whatever that means. They're not quite as nasal as I think I sound, but very close. I don't say filum or aluminium, eh, although my Grandpa did, but he WAS Canadian, at least in his youth. I find regional linguistics interesting...& sometimes annoying, lol.

Tifftastic

Regional linguistics are fascinating! Here in Glasgow, just going from one end of the city to the other you get such a drastic change that it amazes me!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Shorting the photo period will help with the hair algae. I would leave the light off a few days a week until it dies off too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store