Long time no update - killifish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hey all! For those that remember I had gotten a tank and some sand for free to rehome these mangrove killifish that were bred for a genetic study. But I was having pH problems, I talked to a few people that keep tanks locally and based on their experience, just decided to buffer with a bit of baking soda with every water change and that seems to be keeping the pH at about 7.4. I picked up the fish a few months back after battling some bad algae that came with some plants my supervisor gave me. You can tell from the pic today that the algae is back lol. I usually just pluck as much as I can when I do a water change, which I really need to do today. But anyway, here's the cute little killifish. They're very friendly and beg for food a lot, if I'm sitting on the couch they'll start jumping against the lid to beg for food. IMG_20180322_155315_663.jpg 20180606_180633.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
sigh...no Oscar? :p

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hahaha wouldn't that be fun in a ten gallon tank?! I did almost get talked into taking home some of my brevis shellies and I was soooo tempted to set up a new tank. . . but that's probs the biggest cichlid I would get ;)

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
They're so cute. They make my day when I get up and they all come out and beg for food. Its good to be back! Things have been crazy and I didn't have enough spoons to visit. But I've managed to settle things and now have time and spoons to be back =)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
"spoons" must Scottish for b**ls, eh? (with a Canadian accent, lol...or could be money or time I guess...). I've been told I have a Canadian accent but I'm from Michigan originally (ok, practically Canada to some that don't know any better ;)).

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
"spoons" must Scottish for b**ls, eh? (with a Canadian accent, lol...or could be money or time I guess...). I've been told I have a Canadian accent but I'm from Michigan originally (ok, practically Canada to some that don't know any better ;)).
Haha I like the translation lol! Its actually from a mental health analogy that I read awhile ago that is the best way to describe what it feels like to give away all of your energy. It goes that basically, I have a pile of spoons and someone comes up and says "wow, you have so many spoons, can I have one?" and of course I say sure and I give it away. But also getting up in the morning costs a spoon, dealing with bills costs a couple of spoons, saying hi to people at work costs a couple, being at work costs even more. By the end of the day I have no spoons left to give and I have to do things, like paint, or just be alone to gain back spoons. Because the interactions with people that should give me more spoons takes a lot away from me.

I always call the midwest accent a baby Canadian accent lol. I wish I had a Scottish accent so badly, I just have the neutral west coast US accent that is so boring. . .

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
TY for the "spoons" explanation, Tiff. As you can see, left to my imagination, there's no telling what might come up!

Back to accents, I only sounded Canadian on the US East coast. In CA I sound almost "native"...or at least within normal Nor Cal parameters, whatever that means. They're not quite as nasal as I think I sound, but very close. I don't say filum or aluminium, eh, although my Grandpa did, but he WAS Canadian, at least in his youth. I find regional linguistics interesting...& sometimes annoying, lol.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Regional linguistics are fascinating! Here in Glasgow, just going from one end of the city to the other you get such a drastic change that it amazes me!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Shorting the photo period will help with the hair algae. I would leave the light off a few days a week until it dies off too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store