looking for a good cichlid for a 29 gallon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Hi everyone. I've been away from fish keeping for a few years now. I've been keeping turtles, but that's another story. I used to have an Oscar in a 55 gallon tank that I really enjoyed. What I would like is some recommendations for a miniature version of an Oscar. Something that would work in a 29 gallon but have the same kind of personality as an Oscar. It would be alone in the tank possibly planted with a few tough plants on driftwood and rocks. Maybe a small school of Cories to keep things a little more tidy. Is there such a fish?

Thanks.
Joe

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have never found another fish like an Oscar. An Oscar is like a little puppy, an underwater puppy.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Yeah. I guess I can't really expect That extent of personality from another fish. I guess the real question is: How close can I get in a cichlid that would be good for a 29 gallon?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Actually there are a few cichlids that can thrive in 29gallons. Bolivian rams, apistos, german blue ram, kribensis, and some other that i cant think of at the moment

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Actually there are a few cichlids that can thrive in 29gallons. Bolivian rams, apistos, german blue ram, kribensis, and some other that i cant think of at the moment
None of those has the personality of an Oscar.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Too small also. I would like something that would fit my 29 gallon like my Oscar used to fit my 55. Well maybe the way a full grown Oscar would fit a 75 gallon. The 55 was too narrow for Jaws. (the Oscar)

Two that I think may work size wise, are Firemouths or Convicts. Anyone have experience with either? How personable are they? Other suggestions?

Thanks

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have had both many/many years ago. I use to love my Firemouths. Really beautiful and bred very easily. The ones I use to have are much more colorful then the ones for sale now. Too much in-breeding maybe??

Convict are just breeding machines. Keep them in a heated bucket and they will breed!!! I had more then I could give away.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Not much personality as far as interacting with you, not like an Oscar. Cichlids in general have interesting behaviors so don't rule out a group of GBRS or Bolivian Rams.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Never had any luck with Rams or really any of the small cichlids. I am looking for a single specimen "pet" fish for this tank, though, when my hatchling turtles outgrow it. Firemouth seems so far to be the front runner, although, I might try something like a Blue Acara or even a Jack Dempsey. If they get too big for my comfort as a keeper, I could possibly put them in a large tank with turtles. Not my first choice though. I would rather find the best fit for the 29 to start with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store