looking for a good cichlid for a 29 gallon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Hve you considered natives? Some of the sun fish are very personable and colorful.
The thought has crossed my mind. I had a yellow perch, years ago, that was a really neat aquarium fish, once I got it trained on regular available cichlid food.I am probably going to incorporate some perch and bluegills into my big turtle tank when I get it. Right now, though, I'm pretty torn between the 4 that I listed earlier. Maybe leaning towards the Salvini or the Rainbow. I'm sure I'll change my ming a thousand times before I'm ready. (I plan on upgrading my turtles next summer) I might even end up taking the 29 apart to use for a basking area enclosure. Then I'd most likely pick up a 50 gallon and widen my choices a little bit for this project.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Keep them coming everyone. I know there are fish that are similar to the 4 I'm considering that I don't even know about.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah I currently have some Green Side Darters in my Discus tank as snail control.. I have some Juvenile bluegills in with some Nano's.. Natives are pretty cool though..

mechanic

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
The only Cichlid I've ever kept that had a similar personality to my Oscar's was a Red Devil.
They get way too big for a 29 though.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
First off, all of our fish would do best in a 1,000 gallon tank (even bumble bee gobies), or heck, why not return them to their native habitat? Seriously, a single 4-5 in fish in 55 would be one empty tank. I see nothing wrong with a single 5 inch fish in a 29 gallon tank or a 20 long.

As for personality, I think there are several options - for a small cichlid, bolivian rams are unbelievably outgoing, highly interested in the food god who visits daily, and to me (having kept oscars years ago), they do have a similar personality. I really think much of what we attribute to oscar being so uber special is because they're big and relatively peaceful for such a huge cichlid.

Although not a cichlid, the standard paradisefish makes a great wet pet as well. They're more cichlid-like than many cichlids.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store