looking for a good cichlid for a 29 gallon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive always thought firemouths were really cool and i want to get a nice setup for some one day. Have you thought about a rainbow cichlid? Gets about 5inches or so but obviously not many ( if any) fish have the true Oscar feeling.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
OMG! I was just looking through an old thread about Rainbows. Another good fit size-wise. Anyone have any thoughts on the better interactive personality between the Fire-mouths and the Rainbows?

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
I've kept both and neither compares to Oscar interaction.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I actually had a green terror at one time, and while it was no Oscar, I could be happy if one of these had that kind of personality.

So far I'm thinking one of these:

1. Honduran Redspot
2. Firemouth
3. Rainbow
4. Salvini

Again, I realize I am not going to find a miniature Oscar. I just need input on which would be closest.(even if not very) Aside from an Oscar, a Green Terror, and a Managuense, the only cichlids I've ever had were Angels and a couple of failed attempts at Rams.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
But a Rainbow would be too big for a 29gal (which is really a tall 20gal).
If the OP wouldnt mind getting like a 30B i think it would be fine but i agree with what you said even though i suggested it, if that makes any sense.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are we talking about the same fish? I thought the Rainbows maxed out at 4 to 5 inches. No?
Yes. A Rainbow Cichlid would grow to about 5 inches. It is not the gal/tank that you want the the "foot-print" or the surface area.

A 20gal and a 29gal would have the same area, 30X12, except that the 29gal is taller (12 inches vers 18 inches). .

But a 30 gal would be much better for the Raimbow because it is 36X18 (even though you are thinking it is just 1 gal bigger).

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
I do understand the standard tank sizes. I just don't see anything out of wack with a 5 inch fish alone in a 30 inch, 29 gallon aquarium. Proportionally it's better than a 12 inch fish in a 90 gallon. What are you using to determine the need for a 36 inch tank? Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just wanting to find out if there's a formula that I don't know about.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store