Looking for suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I know I have a few PC bulbs, and a few fixtures.... if you are ever in the area with a bit of trunk space.

Honestly, the reflectors in mine were so awful, I was happy to see them go, the light itself from them was pretty good, if not terribly efficient in my case... but once bulbs were like $50 each, I noped my way out. everything is LED now, not planning to look back and think I should use T5s on a display tank, it is so not worth thr trouble.

As for sando, I am intrigued by red flint sand that they find in IL and WI... there also used to be some sand available from Pittsburgh PA that looked pretty OK too... If I ever drive cross country I will bring you a few bags :)

EBJD

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
I've used play sand in the past, not something I want to do again... I looked at the stratum and aquasoil, it's expensive stuff ? how would diluting it work? Maybe 2-3 bags mixed with a couple bags of the aforementioned safetsorb, I have patience I just want a good starting point before I do anything,...

my wife saw this tank when it had 3 oscars, and a large catfish that wrecked everything in the tank, needless to say she is nervous, and I learned my lesson on catfish Lol

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would honestly go with safetsorb, try to 'pre-load' it with nutrients, if you can get hold of the salts used as ferts, you put those together in water, and soak the stuff, over a little while it holds onto those (look up CEC if you want more info) and then use it , you will have to recharge those nutrients over time, if you have the salts you can make DIY root tabs with red claym, a bit of water, and some drying in the sun (there's instructions here, I'm supposed to be working or I would link them).

or to save money for better things, I would go with gel capsules and osmocote+, and put an amount of the osmocote down in the aquarium on the bottom before adding the safetsorb, then add your DIY tabs (a pin prick in each end will helop it fill with water and less able to float)

That would handle your root feeders, for plants that will take nutrition from the water, you will need another means, if using the salts (see a theme?) you can measure those, mix with water and dose daily or every other day, using a method of your own. Or you can buy premade all in one liquid ferts from NilocG or Tropica or whomever. (Not mentioning Aquarium Co-Op because Cory gives me the heebie jeebies)

Sorry for the wall of text, hope it helps a bit, but ask if questions, I should get back to work.

Reactions: EBJD

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
2 different sizes of substrate don't play well together. The smaller will sift down over time...

TY dougall , if I'm ever again on the east coast near you with a trunk to load up, I'll take all your PC bulbs, lol...not likely, too far to drive, ha!

ykthaname

AC Members
Apr 3, 2021
Hey guys my old 120 has been collecting dust since I moved and I'm about to get it and set it up in the living room of a new house

I want to try something different, I haven't been here in a while but my last tank ran great for about 5 years til I moved (it was in my parents house)

I want this to be more of a show tank, pretty heavily planted and stocked well, I will have no problem doing weekly 50% water changes, I have media from a 55 gallon I can jump start the cycle with.

My question is what plants will do best?, I'm going to change the substrate to a mix of gravel and aquarium soil, probably seachems line and probably a layer of sand on top

My ph is around 7.6, GH of 4 and KH of 5

I plan on stocking it with 7-8 angelfish, rams, apistos, Cory cats, and handfuls of mixed tetras, rummynose, cardinal, etc possibly some Otos or zebra/gold nugget pleco my lfs is pretty good about keeping them in stock, I know algea will be an issue with a tank that has lights on ~12 hrs a day

I don't want to get into CO2 but I do need suggestions for plants, lights (aquarium is 60x18x24 and just has the stock lighting, 2 24" florescents, would like to not spend a lot on lighting but I will if it will work out better) and soil, clay, rocks, or sand.

I would like a mixture of carpeting or other thick plants for foreground and some tall growing plants for the background

Thanks for any suggestions
im big into cichlids so i always end up buying more with every tank but i always regret it to some degree because i forget how badly ive always wanted an electric tank. morymids different knife fish electric catfish etc. im really in love with morymids ive heard they flash their eyes like headlights of a car to communicate when mating.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Just remember that cory are a type of catfish so one should be more specific when mentioning which type of catfish they wish to avoid. I suppose avoiding catfish that wreck everything in sight might be specific enough but there are certainly many catfish one can appreciate that are non-wreckers and they should be appreciated ;)

my wife saw this tank when it had 3 oscars, and a large catfish that wrecked everything in the tank, needless to say she is nervous, and I learned my lesson on catfish Lol

EBJD

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
Just remember that cory are a type of catfish so one should be more specific when mentioning which type of catfish they wish to avoid. I suppose avoiding catfish that wreck everything in sight might be specific enough but there are certainly many catfish one can appreciate that are non-wreckers and they should be appreciated ;)
Yeah I agree, I got a hold of a baby channel cat, mixed in with some others, thought he looked unique found out later he wasn't what I thought... within 6 months he was nearly a foot long and I'd say 4-8 inches wide,... completely Wrecked my tank lol, I had to get rid of him and knowing he's a channel I put him in a nearby pond, private property, owners didn't care, I know that's frowned upon but it was that or let em die

Reactions: jake72
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store