Looking to add new fish to mature 10 Gallon tank. Need advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Satsvsga

Registered Member
May 11, 2021
I set my tank up just over a year ago. It’s my first ever tank. I started with 1 nerite, 3 white skirt tetras, 3 zebra danios and 2 female guppies.

Fast forward to today and I have the snail, 3 tetras and 3 danios remaining. I lost the other 3 fish in the span of a week a couple months ago when one of the guppies died unnoticed which messed up the water.

Now that my water levels are fine and the remaining 6 fish are doing ok, I want to add a few more in the tank.

I especially want to add bottom feeder/s but I also think 3 each for schooling species may not be enough. I wanted to add a bottom feeder fish like the cory but I doubt it will be the smartest thing since they are also schooling and I may end up overstocking the tank. Therefore, I was thinking of adding 2 tetras, 1 danio and 1 male guppy with a few shrimp. Would that make sense?

I don’t want to do something that’s not advisable since I already did a ton of mistakes when I set this thing up over a year ago. What would your recommendations be? Thanks!

PS - I got a small air pump that is connected to an air stone in the tank, as well as plenty of decorations, rocks where fish can explore and hide. No live plants

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
IMO, your white skirt tetras may work fine but only for a while, 10 gallons is a small size to have shoal fish, I must also ask you if the air pump would be working as your filtration, don't you have something else ?? And if so then I see a problem, I think you can have Corydoras in that tank, Corydoras habrosus or pygmy corys would do fine in 10 gallons, usually they get lost in larger tanks.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 20)
Id upgrade the skirts and danios to a larger tank for sure. Danios alone need a 3 foot tank due to how active they are, and skirts need at least a 20g because they can grow larger and can be nippy.

For the 10g, keep it species only for a pygmy cory species (pygmaeus, hastatus, or habrosus) and get a group of 10-15 in there.

OR, get a 40g, get both danios increased to 6-10 and the skirts to 6-10 and add a cory species below, at least 10

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
while it is not optimal i would not panic and feel you have to remove your current fishes or get a larger tank. If you want to add anything additional about all you can safely consider are pygmy cory, kuhli loaches or perhaps a couple of nice male guppies. Ultimately the purist will argue that both the pymgy and kuhli do better in a larger tank (20 long is a nice size) but that doesn't mean they can't live in the 10. Between kuhli and pymgy i'd go with pygmy in a 10 as kuhli are amazingly active at time and a 10 is pretty small.
-
It isn't that i disagree with NoodleCats NoodleCats comments but given the current constraints I think things are where they are and not everyone can run out and buy a new tank. If you were to remove one of the two fishes in your tank i would remove the white skirt as they are pretty cramp in such a small tank - the danio will adapt and they are not overly large fishes (unless you happen to buy a giant danio which is a different fish ;) )

-
As a future reference if you were to start over the type of fishes you want for a 10 are things like ember tetra and green neon tetra. These are small fishes and a 10 could support a nice size school of 10ish of either.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 20)
Oh noooo immediately go out right now and get a bigger tank hahaha :p

Nah I get it with the times like they are right now, it's not a life or death priority, just something to aim for when you can. It's an ideal to get a bigger tank, is all.

Satsvsga

Registered Member
May 11, 2021
IMO, your white skirt tetras may work fine but only for a while, 10 gallons is a small size to have shoal fish, I must also ask you if the air pump would be working as your filtration, don't you have something else ?? And if so then I see a problem, I think you can have Corydoras in that tank, Corydoras habrosus or pygmy corys would do fine in 10 gallons, usually they get lost in larger tanks.
I have an Aqueon 10G filter in addition to the air pump

Satsvsga

Registered Member
May 11, 2021
while it is not optimal i would not panic and feel you have to remove your current fishes or get a larger tank. If you want to add anything additional about all you can safely consider are pygmy cory, kuhli loaches or perhaps a couple of nice male guppies. Ultimately the purist will argue that both the pymgy and kuhli do better in a larger tank (20 long is a nice size) but that doesn't mean they can't live in the 10. Between kuhli and pymgy i'd go with pygmy in a 10 as kuhli are amazingly active at time and a 10 is pretty small.
-
It isn't that i disagree with NoodleCats NoodleCats comments but given the current constraints I think things are where they are and not everyone can run out and buy a new tank. If you were to remove one of the two fishes in your tank i would remove the white skirt as they are pretty cramp in such a small tank - the danio will adapt and they are not overly large fishes (unless you happen to buy a giant danio which is a different fish ;) )

-
As a future reference if you were to start over the type of fishes you want for a 10 are things like ember tetra and green neon tetra. These are small fishes and a 10 could support a nice size school of 10ish of either.
Thanks! I just set this up with the advice of the guy working at Petco so both the white skirt tetras and the danios were his suggestion. I wish I did some research back then but it is what it is. I’m thinking of just adding one male guppy and some shrimp right now so I won’t overstock the tank

Reactions: jake72

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 20)
Yeah another unfortunate victim of chain store advice, many of us have been there. I think your plans for a guppy and some shrimp will be a good solution for now, just watch the guppy doesn't get nipped by the tetras or danios who can be nippy if kept in smaller numbers

Reactions: jake72 and Satsvsga
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store