looking to start SW, a few ?s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
alright, I'm looking to start a 55 or 75 gallon SW tank, I have absolutely NOTHING I need for it

so...how much money am I looking to spend to get set up (not including tank/hood), and what do I need?

I plan to have FOWLR

thanks in advance

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It depends on where you buy it, for alot of stuff.

You'll want about 90-125 pounds of live rock, and it's cheaper to get that online (by a long shot--check etropicals and such for exact prices, but locally you can expect to pay $7/pound an up). You can save--buy about half of that much live, then fill the rest in with base rock (lava or lace rock) that will become active. Ditto for sand.

You'll want some powerheads--I'd use at least 4. Big Al's is cheapest for those, so call it $40-60 there.

A protien skimmer is a good thing to have--usually around $100 will get you a decent one (maybe used).

I'd go with 2 heaters, figure $30 from Big Al's for 2 250-400 watt heaters.

You should check your lights--if you spend big bucks for cool live rock, you want at least 3-4 watts per gallon to keep most of that stuff going.

I'd plan on at least 3-400 bucks, but you can spread it out, not buy everything at once. The gradual approach allows the tank to settle better, IMO. Or, watch the local papers, see if you can find some one who's selling their setup. Happens a lot.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
It really depends on what you'd like in your tank and which tank size you're getting. Do you want corals? How much sand would you like at the bottom?

Don't forget things like salt, test kits, thermometer(s), hydrometer/refractometer (which I'd recommend over the hydrometer), etc.

I bought some live rock off of liveaquaria and I was very pleased with it.

Isn't it kind of risky for him to get live rock that isn't fully cured?
He can cure it in his tank or in a separate container. The risk would be if he already has fish and/or inverts.

latazyo- Initial set-up might be somewhat costly but after you're finished, the monthly costs should remain consistent. There are always good deals around and if you have more of an idea of what you'd like in the end, we can better help you.

:)

matticus

AC Members
May 3, 2007
latazyo- Initial set-up might be somewhat costly but after you're finished, the monthly costs should remain consistent. There are always good deals around and if you have more of an idea of what you'd like in the end, we can better help you.
Oh, I'd say he's beyond that point by now. His post was almost five years ago. :)

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hahaha! I usually notice that too! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store