Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
algae scrubbers have been use for quite some time in Marine tanks..they do work.. it stands to reason they can work in FW as well.. basically all you are really doing it promoting algae in a seperate area to prevent it showing up in the main/display tank

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Does it make sense to put the algae screen in a tank as a food source and a new one in the scrubbed tank..?

SantaMonica

AC Members
If you mean take a full out out and use it for food somewhere else, yes, although the new screen that you replace it with will take longer to grow than a used screen.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Or you can just squirt hydrogen peroxide on the algae and balance your ferts better. I kind of like the way some of the algae looks in my tank. And FF, otos don't eat the hard algaes. Their mouth scrapers are not hard enough to break it down, so they usually stick to the diatoms and soft green algaes.

SantaMonica

AC Members
I fed some of the fish today by sliding the scrubber along the glass and revealing the spot where it had been growing on the glass for a week... very fine green growth... and the fish took right to it.

SantaMonica

AC Members

TheRealCramer

AC Members
Jun 18, 2012
I just did my 3rd cleaning and had a good handful of harvested algae to feed my 2 adult red ear sliders. They love the stuff! They fought over it and sucked in the last strand end to end, Lady and the Tramp style.

I know it's not as nutritious as other types of algae, like spirulina, but it's probably better than most of their non-pellet veggies. Do you know if it's toxic in volumes? Any scrubber recipe tips?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store