Macro algea refugium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
kentucky
Visit site
I just got a 265gal tank and looking for suggestioons on what I would need to make a decent refugium sump for it. And how would I need to set up the sump for optimum growth of macro algeas.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
You can make a fuge out of any size tank you want. Of course bigger is better...

For substrate you want a fine sand bed, as well as some substrate that will release a steady supply of iron into the water. Something like fluorite or laterlite will do that job. You can purchase either one from most pet stores (online or a LFS) for a pretty small fee. They are both made for planted tanks.

As for setting up your fuge, you might want to consider ordering the 9 for $99 kit from www.ipsf.com You can get a large variety of snails, hermits, worms, and macroalgaes for your tank.

For water movement throughout the tank, you will want about 3x to 5x the tank volume per hour. Meaning a 50 gallon tank should be getting 150-250 GPH.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
internal- a Mag 9 or 12 or a Dolphin Pond Master 1200.

external- GRI, blueline, or Sequence if you want it to be silent. Else you could run an Iwaki or Little Giant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store