Making my 800 gal bigger.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
i must say... after watching nearly all of your you tube videos... im impressed, i think you need to start charging admission and have ppl come see your "aquarium" :) i would give you 5 bucks to come look around :)

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
man that bites...
the nature of your business doesn't allow you to get any type of compensation? government or anything of the sort?

I mean you are doing something really great by rescuing the fish...but if it's to the point where you might lose your house...

I'm gonna start researching...see what pops up

I hope all is well and it all turns around for you

Sincerely,
Taylor

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I e-mailed the government of ohio to see if there were possibly any grants or benefits you could receive due to the nature of your business...

Not sure if it pan out and am still awaiting a response

Hopefully they will at least give some sort of guidance or feedback as to what to do

I will update as soon as I hear back from them

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
*sigh*

they said they only help "Native Ohio Wildlife species"

and she said that she is not aware of any organization that can help you :bs: I'm calling it

I'm sorry for your situation and I hope it all works out for you honestly

Taylor

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I really hope this works out somehow, because you're doing such a commendable thing.
I found a website that lists numerous sources of federal grants for animal rescue efforts. The intro paragraph says that even more sources may be available if you click on the link that takes you to the complete list: http://grants.library.wisc.edu/organizations/animals.html
Here's another site: http://www.animalsheltertips.com/grants.html
It looks like many of these require you to have the status of a non-profit. Additionally, several of them seem to be for cats and dogs only. But, it might be worth a shot to make a case for fish being eligible for protection. I mean, fish are quite an under-serviced population, when it comes to what's available for them at traditional animal shelters. Maybe you could convince one of these cat-and-dog-focused orgs that you are filling a much neglected niche within the animal rescue world.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I should add, my husband has a little grant writing experience. And, as a grad student, I've filled out tons of funding applications. If you decide to apply for any grants, then I (and I'm sure my husband too) would be happy to help you out with wording the application. A lot comes down to how well you can sell yourself, and how well you can speak the language of the funders. I'm no expert grant writer or anything, but I'd be happy to be a second pair of eyes.

PoorChipotle

AC Members
Jul 17, 2009
i envy you and your work.
keep it up!

-andrew.

MonsterFishResc

AC Members
Mar 21, 2008
For some reason I have not been getting notified of any new posts. Quite aggrivating...

As it stands right now we're skimming by. Surviving. It hasn't been easing with breaking my foot and all. I'm back to work but am not 100%

MFR Status:

I've had a tax ID number since April and now the CPA has all of my info after lighting a fire under the lawyers rear end... I should go from a non profit LLC to a non profit organization by the end of the year, if not sooner. The CPA is really on the ball. I'm seeing my mistakes with the lawyer now.... BUT, it's hard to complain when he charged me next to nothing and he's really a very nice man... I'm also looking into finding another printer to make more shirts.... More news on that soon...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store