Maracyum ll - Angel Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Can I use Maracyum ll as a Broad-spectrum antibiotic for Angelfish Fry? If I can use it would I use the full strength or less? :help2:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would not use any medication of any sort unless there is a specific need and the medication in question is the best you can use for the problem. All medications stress fish, and fry are even more sensitive to these.

Second point is that there really is no "broad-spectrum" medication that has benefits; if the fish don't have some health issue, they don't need treatment. I discussed this at length a couple of years back with a professional microbiologist with 20 years experience in fish health, and her advice was as I've set out.

If you have some distinct issue, those with experience in that area will undoubtedly offer suggestions.

Byron.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
why? are you concerned with bacteria in the water column that may cause health issues or worse kill the fry?

I would recommend a UV filter if that's the case.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I do have issues. For some reason I loose one-3 fry from 8 different tanks. Maybe today I will loose one in tank 5 and 8 then tomorrow I will loose a few in other tanks. I can't figure it out. I have checked all my water specks and everything is fine. I have 34 tanks and the only tanks I loose fish in are the Angel Fry tanks. I thought a antibiotic would help and I wouldn't get up in the morning worring about loosing fry.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
antibiotics may make it worse.

if you are concerned about the possible bacterial issues killing fry try a uv sterilzer one one tank and see if that works

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
There are many possibles for the fry losses. Without knowing all the data, we are only guessing. If you could give us the following, someone should be able to advise.
Tank size, number of fry in it
Water parameters (GH, pH, temperature)
Frequency of water changes and volume
Feeding--what foods, how much
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings
Substances entering the tank water: conditioner (which, how much), any others
Bare tanks, or... ?
Light over the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store