Mass destruction of the Weather Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fancytail

AC Members
Aug 25, 2011
Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for another "I'm thinking about getting a Dojo/Weather Loach" derp thread. But I wanted peoples of this forum insight of their experience with these awesome fish. Other than that, I wasn't convinced with what I was provided from previous posts.

My aquarium is a 100 gallon, with 3 PEACEFUL Fancy goldfish, couple Nerite snails, 1 apple snail, and a couple Hillstream Loaches. The aquarium is planted with sufficient oxygen and current. One side of my aquarium has strong current and the other half has calm waters (Very very complex set up). The aquarium is some what planted (Not enough as I want it to be anyways).

My main concerns is that I have mostly swords, java ferns, and anubias (Marimo balls too, but I don't think I need to worry about those) in eco substrate. I was wondering if these Weather Loaches will uproot every single one of my plants. I've heard remedies like using weights on plants, putting gravel around the plants, etc,.
Does anyone have any other ideas or any stories where you got the luck of the draw and your loaches don't uproot anything?

I would love to have a eel like bottom dweller in my aquarium and the Weather Loach seems perfect! They can tolerate low temperatures, they're active and interesting to look at. I had a Bichir at one point... lets just say that didn't end well (goldfish + bichir = no,no). If anyone has any suggestions regarding fascinating bottom dwellers for my set up, I'd appreciate it!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I always keep dojos with goldies. It's a great combination. Have lots of plants too with a sand substrate, but my dojos haven't dug them up at all. It's the goldies who uproot most of them.

I have marimos in this tank as well, which adds a few obstacles for them. The dojos run around playing a game of follow the leader on the marimos and around them, some moss rocks, and a driftwood stump. They're fun to watch.

Highly recommend them for someone with goldfish and a suitably large tank setup.

fancytail

AC Members
Aug 25, 2011
I always keep dojos with goldies. It's a great combination. Have lots of plants too with a sand substrate, but my dojos haven't dug them up at all. It's the goldies who uproot most of them.

I have marimos in this tank as well, which adds a few obstacles for them. The dojos run around playing a game of follow the leader on the marimos and around them, some moss rocks, and a driftwood stump. They're fun to watch.

Highly recommend them for someone with goldfish and a suitably large tank setup.
I'm hoping they won't uproot any of my plants, but when you got them, how many Loaches did you get? I read that they do good in groups of 3 or higher. 3 seems like a lot for 100 gallon.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
My first question would be - are they legal in your state.
If the answer is yes, does the store actually have weather loaches? Many sell any common loach as a weather loach as it brings a higher price.

Then, pot up some of your plants or cap the area with gravel so even if they do go wild, they won't up-root everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store