Mattenfilter as a overflow prefilter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Having a screen over the overflow would prevent that... and be easy to clean (just wipe your finger over it)
Do you have a suggestion for the intake that is about 20" deep? That is my main concern that drove me to the full coverage idea space.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I can understand that.

However, in truth nothing you can do will completely keep the shrimp out. I have a prefilter sponge on the intake for all my tanks with shrimp and canisters. Still end up with shrimp in them unless the sponge is super tight, and then it blocks up and has to be removed and rinsed frequently to prevent it from slowing the flow. Shrimp mostly avoid being sucked in--they're used to a brisk current. The ones that end up in the filter seem to do just fine until I get around to cleaning it out and net them back in to the tank.

Reactions: fishorama

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I can understand that.

However, in truth nothing you can do will completely keep the shrimp out. I have a prefilter sponge on the intake for all my tanks with shrimp and canisters. Still end up with shrimp in them unless the sponge is super tight, and then it blocks up and has to be removed and rinsed frequently to prevent it from slowing the flow. Shrimp mostly avoid being sucked in--they're used to a brisk current. The ones that end up in the filter seem to do just fine until I get around to cleaning it out and net them back in to the tank.
So you are telling me that I am worried about nothing? I like that, it is easier to solve. :)

So, maybe all I want is a decent prefilter then...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I expect the shrimp can handle a trip through the filter, but not necessarily through the impeller of the return pump.

so long as there's plenty of filter media and water, they should be able to live in the sump with little problem.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I expect the shrimp can handle a trip through the filter, but not necessarily through the impeller of the return pump.

so long as there's plenty of filter media and water, they should be able to live in the sump with little problem.
Well, I hope so, because I would have trouble netting them in the sump. Its a long low tank under a shelving unit in my storage room. Maybe have to use traps.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You should be able to more readily put the sponge filtration between the water entering the sump and the pump--most wet dry setups are designed for this, since you don't want there to be solids going through the pump anyway.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
You should be able to more readily put the sponge filtration between the water entering the sump and the pump--most wet dry setups are designed for this, since you don't want there to be solids going through the pump anyway.
There is non woven filter pad in the drip tray. It does clog up pretty frequently though.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Best bet might be to put a large pore prefilter sponge on the stand pipe. The shrimp would be fine in there, it's easier to access to clean, and by picking something with a large surface area, it won't clog as quickly.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store