Mechanical media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Any suggestions on a good filter media that do a good job in mechanical filtering?

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
How good of a job do you want it to do? I use sponges which do a fine job and don't require to much maintaince other than having to clean them out every week or two. You can get very fine filter floss or use diatom filtration and filter the water down to a couple of microns... however you will probably be clogged in a matter of hours/days.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I'll rephrase my question,what's a good filter media combo that is good for mechanical which includes filtering even the tinest of crap.

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
very fine filter floss will probably work best with whatever existing filter you have. A vortex diatom filter(which cost about 80 bucks) will filter down to 1 micron - can't get much better than that.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Too bad diatom filters are not available in most stores here but i guess i have to make use of what's present,coarse sponge and synthetic cotton,ceramic something,are they good?

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
i have a fluval 204 which comes with sponge filters. i also fill one of the media compartments with filter floss, which works great at polishing the water (if such a thing is possible). though diatomic filtration works great, the units tend to be a little expensive when compared with a $3 bag of filter floss that will last about 6 months.

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
I found that the Magnum filters have a water polishing filter option available. I bought the HOT Magnum with this option and it does a good job of filtering the water. It even took out most of the green algae I had in the water. This model was under $100 as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store