Meet Grif, my Gecko

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I don't know where esle to post this and I wanted to share my new pet. I always wanted a Leopard Gecko since I held one at work. Neat little guys. I love watching them hunt, their tail twitches before they pounce on their target. I had my little guy for a few weeks now and he's still a little skittish. I decided to name him Grif since he devours everything I give him, crickets, hornworms, wax and mealies.

IMG_2148.JPGIMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG IMG_2149.JPG

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Nice leo, I have male that looks very similar to him. Thanks for sharing! :)

Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't keep him on reptile carpet. That stuff has a bad habit of catching on the gecko's toenails and yanking them out. Plus it's a breeding ground for bacteria. Slate or ceramic tiles are the way to go.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Grif...Seth...all the same....:evil_lol:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'm going to get him sand soon, on breeder sites I read on. They said the carpet is best. I don't want to do to much slate since I have a U.T.H on it.

Really, which site? I've been breeding this species for roughly 20 years now and I'd never recommend carpet for any reptile.

I use a sand mixture in one of my display leopard gecko tanks. It's 1 part play sand, 1 part Eco Earth. If you're set on using sand....please oh please DO NOT buy calcium sand!

Actually, cermaic/slate tiles are more natural to them because they hold and distribute heat evenly over a large surface. They work great for UTH's.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I forgot the name of the site. I know not to use Calcium Sand as it can become a problem for Geckos. I can put some slate in the tank where I have the UTH, since I have some left over from my fish tanks. I do have play sand I have used for my tanks, could I use that for my gecko? I can always go out and get more slate to.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Yes, play sand is the best and safest type of sand to use. Just remember to never use sand with growing babies as it is easier for them to become impacted from it.

Sunamoon

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2014
We have 3 female Leopard fat tailed gecko's and they seem to love the cocanut shredded bedding we use... Grif is close in color to the albino we have. Our Carmel is mostly blind so she has to be hand fed, but she gets around fine and is fat and sassy! The other two are awesome hunters! be well~ Suna

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store