Micro Pellets VS Micro Wafers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry, I've forgotten the names. I think she's the tiny 1 right? But I can see the hints of blue.

Don't forget a protein in you veggie mix. When I grew up discus fry I did a seafood mix; fish, shrimp, clams, scallops, etc. (whatever looked good at the market). Your fish are not vegetarians but a bit of veg is good too. Freeze the mix in thin sheets & break off a bit for feeding sometimes. Pellets, etc should also make up part of their diet. Again, variety is good! & you don't want to be tied to the food processor, lol.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Sorry, I've forgotten the names. I think she's the tiny 1 right? But I can see the hints of blue.

Don't forget a protein in you veggie mix. When I grew up discus fry I did a seafood mix; fish, shrimp, clams, scallops, etc. (whatever looked good at the market). Your fish are not vegetarians but a bit of veg is good too. Freeze the mix in thin sheets & break off a bit for feeding sometimes. Pellets, etc should also make up part of their diet. Again, variety is good! & you don't want to be tied to the food processor, lol.
Great my Dad has all those ingredients that I could pulse in my mini food processor though it might be easier for me to just get a small amount from the seafood counter. I can save a few empty bloodworm packages so I can get the portions right. You’re right Eleanor is the tiny one. She knows when I’m trying to take a photo and will swim away. She actually was purchased with Lolita the larger female but almost died due to Lolita not allowing her to eat so she’s playing catch-up.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I took your suggestion to only give them half a cube of brine shrimp at a time. Gus has been working on sharing them with his lady. I gave them some blood worms tonight and I wish I had recorded how well Gus was sharing them with Lolita. Since Eleanor is in her own tank she was just trying to keep any from getting sucked up into the filter. It’s so cute to watch them just slurp them down. I’m going to start giving them something every other day

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sounds like a good plan. It can be hard to guess the exactly right amount...less is better, you can always add a few more bites at a later time. No point in "feeding the filter" with excess food &/or poo...just more filter cleaning & water changes. Test to see if you're on the right track. You may need larger water changes &/or more often...there's a learning curve to every tank. It can change too, as fish grow...maybe test once/week to see if your maintenance is keeping up with your fish's growth, feeding & pooing..& adjust your feeding & maintenance as needed.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Sounds like a good plan. It can be hard to guess the exactly right amount...less is better, you can always add a few more bites at a later time. No point in "feeding the filter" with excess food &/or poo...just more filter cleaning & water changes. Test to see if you're on the right track. You may need larger water changes &/or more often...there's a learning curve to every tank. It can change too, as fish grow...maybe test once/week to see if your maintenance is keeping up with your fish's growth, feeding & pooing..& adjust your feeding & maintenance as needed.
I just did a 75% water change and scrubbed out the filter on the little tank and it’s like night & day. There’s no excess waste on the bottom of the tank and the yellow hue is gone because I used filtered water and hauled it from the kitchen sink in gallon jugs

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
What about other kinds of frozen cubes that are a mix of different nibbles
I just did a 75% water change and scrubbed out the filter on the little tank and it’s like night & day. There’s no excess waste on the bottom of the tank and the yellow hue is gone because I used filtered water and hauled it from the kitchen sink in gallon jugs
I just tested the tank that I cleaned out and changed most of the water. Strip is still reading super high alkaline and I keep adding ph neutralizer. The water is clear but still saying that the water is hard even though we soften the water. SO FRUSTRATING!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Alkaline (pH) or alkalnity (KH)? That's a confusing thing with strip tests. What does you tap water test? Tell us the actual numbers please.

Screwing around with your water parameters can lead to all kinds of issues. Getting to be able to use your tap water without all the additives is best, if you can.

I don't hate test strips like many here do, but an API freshwater "master test kit" is more accurate.

Can you please tell us just what your tests said?

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Alkaline (pH) or alkalnity (KH)? That's a confusing thing with strip tests. What does you tap water test? Tell us the actual numbers please.

Screwing around with your water parameters can lead to all kinds of issues. Getting to be able to use your tap water without all the additives is best, if you can.

I don't hate test strips like many here do, but an API freshwater "master test kit" is more accurate.

Can you please tell us just what your tests said?
I tried doing the test strip by sticking it in the running water and that didn’t work at all so I filled up a cup of water but I’m waiting for the water to reach room temperature so I’ll let you know what it says soon.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I tested the regular water and the strip said the alkalinity is 180ppm or ph level of 8.4. The water is also very hard even though we use a softener. We hooked up a filter but I guess we need something stronger. The nitrate, nitrite, & chlorine levels are all safe. Well water just sucks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store