Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi fry and me.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Hey everyone, its been a while since my last post. I have toned down my fish room, and have not been trying out new adventures. I have a feeling thats about to change soon, I can feel it!

I have a male and female Blue Ram alone in a 55 gallon aquarium. They have laid eggs countless time. The fry have got to the point of about 5 days before they are eaten. Lately, the female just eats the eggs. I think it has something to do with how aggressive he is to her, and no other females to take the pressure.

Last spawn which was about 3 weeks ago, I separated the female. The fry got to about day 5 when the dad went nuts, started scooping them up, and putting them in random places, he was also very jumpy. Then he ate all the fry.

At the point where the dad eat the fry, the population had shrunk by about 80%. I feel as though they were not getting enough food. The tank has a lot of plants, and is about 6 years old, very healthy tank. I was trying to feed them Vinegar Eels, and then Microworms. But, they couldn’t eat them, and they tried. I think they survived so long because of the infusoria in the tank, but ran dry.

This time, I am going about it another way. I have removed the eggs to a small container with Methylene Blue, and submerged that into a 10 gallon tank with about 5 inches of water. The heater is keeping the temperature around 80F, and I can see the black spots.

I started an infusoria culture about a week ago, I thought they were going to give me enough time before they laid eggs again. One of the cultures has infusoria, but not too much. Im hoping the populations will be sufficient in time. I have about 3 days, I hope.

Are Blue Ram fry to small for Vinegar Eels?

Any suggestions?

8DiagramPoleFighter

AC Members
Nov 3, 2015
NOLA
Real Name
Fuzzy
Camera Used
Sony Alpha 58
Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Thank you! They are growing! I have them eating BBS and Microworms. They do not seem to like golden pearls much.

I lost about half those eggs. I think I needed to use more Methylene Blue, and the dad mysteriously disappeared, he was about 3-4 years old.

I ended up with about 30, and they look healthy. Here is some of the fry, if my math is correct they are 16 days old.
6dayramfry.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Nice.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Thanks, they are starting to get color, and they now recognize me for food, instead of bolting. I should be able to move them back with mom soon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store