Minimum water temperature for a pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

STUNNA

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
sbsc.biz
I wouldn't go below 72 degrees F with any tropical fish. I've had several different species of of suckerfish, and they seem to do great at high temperatures(80-83) with discus. Exactly how cold is the tank? Intank heaters are only around $8-$12, if you go cheaply. Really, tropical and coldwater fish should never be mixed, because one will always be living in an unsuitable environment, whether it's the tropical one, as in your case, or the coldwater one.

GTK

AC Members
Actually, I got the pleco for the shubunkin tank after someone here at this forum recommended it as a good algae eater for a coldwater tank. My old copy of Innes says they are fine down to 62 degrees, but my tank is right around that now, and I'm wondering how critical that is. If anyone else has experience with a cool tank pleco I'd like to hear about it. I have a heated cichlid tank, but it's only 29 gallons, so I can't move him there.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Under natural conditions Common Plecos may be more cold-hardy than in your aquarium. High 50sF might be okay for a while, but not if you stressed the fish by trying to net it. The larger the tank, the more stable the temps.

We've cranked up our average temperatures over the decades. My Tiger Barbs and Botia Modesta winter at temps round 70oF

Are fish more susceptible to fungus at low temps?

Don Stephens

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2013
Is there any sucker-catfish that's hardy at lower temps than a "common pleco"? Even with the heaters, my tank occasionally drops down to around 60Thanks for any info,- Don,keeping fish since 1950...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store