more troubles...WORMS!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

golfnfish

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
NoCal
Visit site
Dying fish, algae and now worms. When will it stop?

My 3 1/2 month old 5g tank that's been killing of my fish (see "Newbie..give up" post) now has worms. I woke up this morning and when I turned on the tank light I found many very small white worms crawling on the glass. The adult molly picked at a few but didn't seem interested. Darn, could've been cool watching her eat 'em all. Now for the newbie questions:

- What are they? (Planarians?)
- Are they bad for the tank?
- Will they multiply and take over?
- Is there anything I can do to get ride of them? Do I need to?

BTW, my tank is holding stable with the adult molly and her one fry.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Yes.
No.
Probably. It depends on how much flake food you're giving the molly. Try spinach instead of flakes and give her a "starve-day" once every five days or so.
Not really.
No.

There are lots of small critters in an established tank. No need to nuke the whole ecosystem!

Relax. Enjoy.

T

TnCgal

golfnfish,

I'm going to move your question over to General FW since this is not really a newbie-type question ! :)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
wetmans got it..... harmless extra food. (the worms)

increase water changes probably, and maybe some additional vacuuming. it is usually a sign of overfeeding i think, and is very common in newly setup tanks. with good maintenance it will seem to go away on its own.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I've got em in one of my oscar tanks
I haven't been overfeeding him He eats all that I give him. I think there is more then meets the eye to these little worms.

P.S they do really cloud up the glass if you get a lot of them

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Those little planaria are caused by excess protein, which in turn is related to overfeeding or too much protein in the diet. When they decide to venture onto the glass they are feeding on a layer of protein which forms on the glass. This is common in oscar and other cichlid tanks due to high protein diets such as mealworms. I had an outbreak once, but since then I cut back to 1 mealworm feeding per week and regular vacuuming of the gravel. They haven't been back since.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store