Moss Growing in My Aqurium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I love your planted tank. I really want to have mine like that. Do you have a CO2 infuser attached?
I am just getting started with growing live plants. I have saw immediately the benefits they have on the tank and I don't think they are responsible of the algae. This is the lighting I use.

Fluval Lighting.jpg

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I think it was a typo for Hair algae... I'm pretty confident that it isn't that.

Looks to be more of a red type algae, think Black Brush or Staghorn.

Personally, I would be doing a thorough cleaning of anywhere that organic waste might accumulate, Filters or a deep gravel vacuum for example. It might also be due to too much of a given compound in your water/graven, sp on top of the deep cleaning, I'd go with a big water change (or bunch of little ones if you don't normally/frequently do big changes) and watch the types and amount of food you are feeding.
Thank you. I do big water changes monthly and smaller ones during the weeks I use Repashy to feed my Pleco. I may be over feeding the Repashy.

northernlady

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
hair algea, black beard algea also are usually caused by overfeeding, not enough water changes, clean your gravel well and do your water changes once a week.aquaculture of house plants helps that type of algea as well.

Reactions: angelcraze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store