Moss Growing in My Aqurium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Hi all. It's been a while since I have been on. I have a new problem. I was looking at my aquarium today and noticed green, stringy, moss like algae is growing on my plants; live ones and the few fake ones. It's also growing on the air tubing. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and how I can get rid of it?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of lighting do you have on the tank and how long is it on per day?

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
What type of lighting do you have on the tank and how long is it on per day?
It is a Fluva Aquasky. It's set on plant boost setting. I don't mess with the settings. I just did a good cleaning on the tank and got rid of all of I could see. I;m going to cut back on feeding. I have to admit I tend to fall of the little fishy eyes begging for food.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Unless I missed it, you didn't say how long the lights are left on. That's the critical thing. Not only does the lights being on too long cause algae, the plants need a no light rest as well.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Unless I missed it, you didn't say how long the lights are left on. That's the critical thing. Not only does the lights being on too long cause algae, the plants need a no light rest as well.
I have a Fluva Aquasky. It's set on plant boost setting and has been on the same setting for about two years. . I don't mess with the settings. I just did a good cleaning on the tank and got rid of all of I could see. I'm going to cut back on feeding. I have to admit I tend to fall of the little fishy eyes begging for food.

northernlady

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
to help control algea I do aquaponic culture with pothos , keep the leaves out of the water and the roots in the water. the plant is thriving, algea is lessened and the fish enjoy picking little tasty things of the roots. Pothos is easy to root by putting cuttings in water, you can also do the same with other plants such as peace lily. both those plants can be purchased in just about any plant department - even Walmart, due to the fact that my tank receives no natural light I put a light raised above the plants in addition to my fish light.to raise your plant light you can build an A-Frame type contraption out of wood propped on the top of your tank , suspend it from the ceiling or prop it up on plastic containers as I have done- whatever works for you. the pothos also helps to control nitrate levels - however the pothos dos not control the human hand dipping in the fish food can to extra feed LOL.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Pothos aren't exactly great for cats ;)

But if theree's a recent algae issue, on a 2 year old tank, I would look for recent changes, especially something that might cause other forms of light to start hitting the tank say a curtain that was removed. I doubt it's caused by the aquarium light alone if it hasn't changed.

If it works though, adding plants to the aquarium so that their roots are in the water is an awesome idea!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store