Moving Accross Country

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vance

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
madill,ok
Visit site
im going to be moving in a couple of months and it will take probably two days to move . i would prefer to take my fish with
me but i dont really think they would do so well,or more likely die,with such a long move.does anyone have any suggestions. help!!!:confused:

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I would fed them very lightly for a few days before you move. Then, fill once of those rubbermaid 30g tubs with water, poke a couple of holes in the lid, and put an airstone in. The only problem I see is how to keep the water warm. Maybe if you had one of those generators, you could plug in a heater and put it in the tub.

How many fish are we talkin' here?

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Man, I don't know about trying to make a move of that length with fish. Not sure they'd make it.

Another consideration: do you by any chance know the type of water you'll have at the new residence? It could be drastically different, which might do them in even if they make the trip okay (assuming you're using tapwater). I hate to be negative here, but it might be better on the fish to give them away and then re-stock (leisurely) when you get to your new digs.

Hope this helps?

-- Pat

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
first of all they moved fish from africa to us ,its all abut how pack the fish,if you do it well they can survíve at least 48 hours,things to think of :dont feed the fish two days before you move,becuse they **** in the waterbags then(no problem fore fish),you must keep temp in the bags,use a box/coolbag for food for ex. use fishbags and fil whith water max 40-50%,fil the bags whith pure oxygen,if you dont have that you can use an airpump,do not blow your breath"air"in to bag,you can also buy breeding fish bags at lfs,put the bags on its side in the box,water should just cover the fish dorsalfin,dont use to small bags.maybe you can ask your lfs if they have some fishbox and bags and oxygene,and they maybe help you whith package the fish.

Last edited:

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
a another imported thing:dont pack more than one fish a bag,and keep it dark.when you closed the box,dont take a look every 10min;) ,the fish being ful of stress(worried) then.

Last edited:

vance

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
madill,ok
Visit site
moving fish

thanx for the responses.especially chiclid woman,great name, i think thats what im going to do.give em away , :( and restock when iget moved and everything set up.thanx again for the great responses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store