Moving form a 10 gal to a 54 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dahdahlv

AC Members
Jul 13, 2018
Las Vegas
Real Name
Amanda
I am a newbie with a 10 gal tank and I have my eye on a 54 gal.

Currently I have a betta, 2 neon sword tails, 2 frogs and 2 shrimp, several plants and blue substrate.

How should I go about planning for the new tank and what process should I be prepared to take when setting it up and switching things over?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
So you want to move everything over to the 54 gal?
There isn't much to that. If you want a planted tank you need more gravel obviously, I would never use blue gravel but if you like that...
I would get some aquarium plant substrate for the first layer (±1 inch) then depending on your taste get (more) blue gravel on top of that or my personal recommendation dark fine gravel 2 to 3 mm, this will bring out the colors of the fish more. The color of the gravel makes no difference to plants
Fill the tank with 44 gal from the same water source as the water in the 10 gal. When ready first make sure the temperature in both tanks is identical. Check the pH as well, it should be the same or extremely close. Then you transfer everything from the old tank, all the gravel, water, plants, filter, ornaments and you'll be fine.

dahdahlv

AC Members
Jul 13, 2018
Las Vegas
Real Name
Amanda
I think I want to move at least animals and plants to the 54. I didn't choose the gravel for this one and after looking at tanks, I definitely want more natural gravel. At one point I wanted a "flashy/showy" tank, now I want something peaceful for the animals and me.

I have heard of people using sand and that interests me but then I wonder how I am supposed to clean that and it concerns me for my bottom feeders, such as would they eat that and give them digestive issues?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I have had sand in a tank for a long time but I regret it, and certainly wouldn't recommend it. It will cause anaerobic spots (with gasses which can kill catfish and loaches) due it compacting. And you are right it is hard to clean without siphoning it out.
The best is getting the smallest type of gravel, 2mm to 3mm. Small enough for bottom feeders to dig through, but still easy enough to clean. It is available in different colors, when I am going to replace the sand I will go with black or dark grey. Darker colors make the fish feel more at home. They have light colors and mixed too, it's a matter of personal preference as long as it is the right size.

dahdahlv

AC Members
Jul 13, 2018
Las Vegas
Real Name
Amanda
Okay, so I will plan on the aquarium plant substrate at about an inch, followed by 2/3mm rocks. I will do 44 gal of same water source, should I cycle this?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes I think that is ideal, 1" aquarium plant substrate with 1" 2-3mm gravel on top.
When you move everything, it doesn't have to cycle. Now the nitrifying bacteria are in your blue gravel as well, I would just put this in a strainer or flowerpot or something and put that temporarily in the 55 gal.

Also I think you had an air/bubble filter? You will probably want a canister filter for the 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store