My anenome ate my clown....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I have a Haitian Reef Anemone, also known as the Pink-Tip Condy who is pretty large.....

tank raised perc clown not doing so well past few days....
couldn't find the clown yesterday...asumed it was dead but couldn't find the body. I think my anenome ate him....is it possible...and if it is should i expect to see anything left over that the anenome may spit out.....

i usually feed my anenome silversides or crill...normally i see some left overs being spit out the day after i feed.

any comments or experiance will help.....thankx

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
Very possible, since Condy's aren't natural hosts for clowns...

I would expect the condy to expel a 'bolus' of undigested material (bone, etc), especially if it also does so after eating silversides ...

Have you testing to find out why the TR percula was doing poorly ?

Was it a new fish ?

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I'm ashamed to say this....
And i can sum it up in one word....

"PETCO"

I told myself i wouldn't ever do it again....but i did.
Was good for about a week maybe two...past few days moving sluggishly around the tank...it was only a matter of time.

All my past fish experiance with then is the same...nice looking healthy fish and slowly $h1ts the bed.

*petco flame is my opinion*

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
Did you properly Quarantine the new fish ?

Did you know that condy's are not clownfish hosts and tend to eat clown fish ? (Bob Fenner has quite a section on this on his WetWebmedia.com site...)

I don't know if I'd slam petco in this case (unless they sold you the condy with the clown !) without knowing more (I slam them enough as it is...)

I live about half an hour from you - which petco did you buy it at ?
Did they also sell you the Condy ? Did somebody somewhere sell you the Condy telling you it would be a good clownfish host ?

Since Condy's are collected easily in Florida, and shipped cheaply, they are far too common IMO... about 85-90% of the time they die quickly in captivity, usually due to insufficient light and\or water quality...

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I live in fal river and centrally located between two stores......

10 minutes from seekonk and tauton locations........
Taunton store actually has nice clean tanks and even sell corals, rock and pollups. Seekonk, stay away from there live stock.
(MY OPINION ONLY)
Condy came from a LFS in seekonk, not PETCO.
The perc that was eaten was dipped in a garlic/freshwater dip for two minutes before it went in....do the same with all my fish.

I used fresh garlic for a while until i found a product called "Herbal Ich Attack"
Its made by Kordon Aqua Herbals......
i Swear by this stuff now.....I can even treat the whole tank without harming my Condy or my mushroom corals or mushroom anenomies, which ever you want to call them....

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
I'm assuming the other store was Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk - Jeremy really knows his stuff. Did he recommend a condy as a clown host ?

In my opinion, a dip is no substitute for a month-long Quarantine for any new fish... especially the way clowns seem to be magnets for Cryptocaryon and Brooklynella (among other pathogens)...

I haven't been in the Seekonk Petco in years (used to frequent it more before it became a Petco, I lived closer to Seekonk about 8 years ago) and haven't been to the Taunton store yet (I think thats a new one)... overall I think they are somewhat hit-or-miss - I know some awesome folks at Petco (including members of the Boston Aquarium Society) and I also know some people at Petco who will still sell Flame Scallops and Rock Beauties...

I do like their clownfish stock overall, since they are Tank Raised, not wild caught, and almost all of them come from ORA. I visited ORA's culture facility while I was in college, it's definately top notch. ( http://www.orafarm.com ) ORA is a division of Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute and one of the world leaders in captive breeding of ornamental marine fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store