my clowns are too shy...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I used to have the same problem with my clowns being skiddish, especially my largest (9"). I added dither fish (I chose various rainbow species) and started feeding smaller amounts several times a day. Worked like a charm. Worked so well that I have a few clowns who will eat out of my hand now, still working on the others..
WOW!!!! That is wayyyy cool! I would love to be able to get mine to eat right out of my hand!

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Maybe I have the 'wrong' dither fish right now. I have 6 rummy noses that are always hiding, 6 fire ring danios 3 white clouds as well as 3 odessa barbs and 3 mollies. As I said, leftovers from previous setups LOL. I previously had 14 odessa barbs as my primary school and didn't really see any improvement with the clowns. I do think it may be a bit worse since I got big hossiena though. I think she was in too small of a tank with only 3 clowns in her previous life. In the year I've had her she's grown a good 2" and that's a LOT for a clown that was already a good 6".

I'm thinking maybe if I filter the light it will help. I just ordered some frogbit. IT's pretty bright in there right now. Also, if I add a powerhead for a spot with good current, it might help draw them out??

The tank is in our living room, behind the couch. My Shih Tzu sits there on the back of the couch all the time and they don't even notice her, but when I sit on the couch BOOM they all take off.
I think the Tinfoils worked because they were large and fast, aggressive swimmers! I think the Clowns figured they were part of their group. I have Rasboras as well and my clowns totally ignore them. As far as the Shih-Tzu goes....come on, they're really cute...everybody loves em! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store