My loaches are speaking to me... Is this normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Seriously, I have 3 loaches, a Burmese (botia histrionica), a Yo-Yo (botia almorhae), and the third may be either (he hasn't matured enough to tell yet). I have observed all three stick their snouts out of the water and make a clicking noise and its not a single click either. Anybody else seen this or have any idea why they do it?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
How are your oxygen levels? Maybe the fish are trying to get air, and that's the sound made when they get to the top and suck in oxygen. Have you changed anything recently, or have you changed your maitenence schedule? (Colder water, more changes, frequenter changes) Does anything seem to inspire this, or is it done at random? I.E my weather loaches always freak out during water changes, but if I'm just putting my hand in or moving plants they don't care as much.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
I don't know anyway to check my oxygen levels (if you do, let me know) but I have an airstone and live plants so I would expect them to be fine. I have changed from one to two water changes a week but this behavior has actually been going on for months, I just never asked about it before. They seem to do it most often right after lights out.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Seems I read that loaches were like some catfish that make croaking /clicking noises. That is just normal behavoir for them.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Ok all, thanks for the responses. There seems to be a general agreement that this is normal. I am certain that they are getting PLENTY to eat :D though thank you for the possibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store