My New Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Oh, OK. Good Luck. Can we get pics?

Reactions: Samantha Burkhardt

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
She looks good. :)

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It might seem contrary but if you add a lot of hiding spaces, plants and shelters you might encourage them to come out more. Basically, what it does is with so many spaces available the fish aren't likely to stick to one thinking they need to hold it from others. If they have a lot of spaces available to retreat to then they will be out more. However, the longer you feed them the more accustomed to you they will become and the braver they will be. They can even go so far as to actually interacting with you and seeming to like your presence. Its suggested that cichlids are smart enough to recognize their keepers and different people.

Samantha Burkhardt

AC Members
Aug 24, 2016
It might seem contrary but if you add a lot of hiding spaces, plants and shelters you might encourage them to come out more. Basically, what it does is with so many spaces available the fish aren't likely to stick to one thinking they need to hold it from others. If they have a lot of spaces available to retreat to then they will be out more. However, the longer you feed them the more accustomed to you they will become and the braver they will be. They can even go so far as to actually interacting with you and seeming to like your presence. Its suggested that cichlids are smart enough to recognize their keepers and different people.
I hope that will come in time... It seems to be getting better especially with the blood parrot... The Severum seems to be the most skiddish

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Adding new deco is OK and should not stress them. How big is your tank? If it is big enough, maybe adding some "dither" fishes will help them to come out sooner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store