My Oscar is getting Itch. What's the best treatment?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
My Oscar appears to be getting white spots on his body. He only has 4 of them right now, but if it is itch I want to get rid of it fast. The water isn't too bad (neutral Ph, 0 Ammonia, Nitrate <60ppm, 0.1 Nitrites) I've heard that turning the temperature up works. I have a JD and a convict in there with him, but I have no other tank to put the Oscar in. Could aquarium salt work also? If anyone could let me know what has worked best for them, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
ive noticed oscars dont like the salt tretment that much so i suggest and quick white spot cure just folow the dosaged and after 3 days(or requiered dosages) or a 50% water change and retreat follow this process for about 5 days after the last visiable cryst(white spot) and that should do it;)

fam1197

AC Members
Sep 25, 2003
New York
www.msnusers.com
Mardel makes a product called coppersafe, Worked great for me with Africans, just follow the directions on the bottle. I noticed an improvement on the 2nd day. They also offer Maracyn & Maracyn-two they are antibiotics that prevent and/or treat any secondary infections, the instructions state give for 5 days, I gave for 7, If you ever had antibiotics, the doc says take for a minimum of 7 days so I did the same for them. They are all good as new no casualies. a little pricey but less expensive than replacing your fish. You can get them at most LFS or online, better off at the LFS as they are already showing symptoms. Good luck hope this helps :D

fam1197

AC Members
Sep 25, 2003
New York
www.msnusers.com
Also raising the temp in your tank to 82 F will speed up the life cycle of Ich ridding it sooner. I am not to familar with Oscars regarding temp ranges so maybe someone else can advise you about their acceptable temp ranges. If it is good 82 would do it, just remember not to raise the temp more than 4 degrees at time as you can shock your fish. 82 for a couple of days then resume your reg temp again not more than 4 degrees at a time. Good Luck:D

Last edited:

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Well, if your Oscar's got (an) ITCH, then I suggest scratching him!;) Sorry, had to do it!

Now for ICH I always suggest the salt/temperature method. I've seen this used just fine on my old roomates Oscar. The fish seemed fine through the entire treatment and has lived to grow to a MASSIVE size! He also had A Jack Dempsey, a Tiretrack Eel, a large Pleco, and one other I can't remember. The salt didn't seem to affect any of them negatively. The trick is to dissolve the salt in water FIRST, then add it to the aquarium slowly. You can even add half one day and the other half the next day. For your fish, I suggest adding the "standard" 1 TBSP per 5 gallons. For sensitive fish 1/10 gallons has always been without fail for me. Raise the temperature to 80 degrees (no more than 2 degrees per day, IMO), and HEAVILY AIRATE the tank with airstones. Water changes with thourough gravel vacs makes a big difference also, and the more-the better. Once a day/ 50% water changes is not too often! I do suggest at least twice a week minimum! The life cycle of ICH is about 5 days at 80 degrees, but keep up treatment for 2 weeks, just to be sure. Then slowly lower temperature and reduce salt content with normal 50% water changes. The water changes are probably the most overlooked part of this process, so don't neglect them. Water quality is always the first step in disease prevention and curing.
Best of wishes to you!

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Yeah, I'm new to the cichlid hobby. Can't you tell:) Oh well, the word itch came to mind when he was scratching himself on the plastic plants. I actually went out today and bought some medication for him. I'm doing a water change today and then treatment with the meds. Thanks for the advice though. I'll keep that in mind for if I get other tanks.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I read Oscars prefer water to be between 78 to 80 degrees. If I had Oscars with Ich, I would not hesitate to bring the temp up to 84 degrees for a few days to help rid the fish of Ich.

I had Oscars in the backyard pond where the water was most likely higher than 82 degrees - especially during the Summer months. They bred, and had no problems... (Until Winter stopped by..)

Oscars grow in the wild down in south Florida.... HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store