My Pleco is a Homewrecker!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plecaty

Registered Member
Apr 13, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, but I've been finding alot of useful information about pleco care as i just got my first pleco a couple days ago. I bought some aquarium plants and decorations the other day and I put them in the aquarium and the pleco pulled up all the plants and knocked over the little house I bought for the other fish I have in the tank with him (2 black mollies, a platy, 2 glow fish). How do I keep my pleco from being a tyrant lol or at least keep my plants and decorations from being able to be knocked over so easily?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
What size tank do you have and what type and how large is your pleco? If it's the pleco in your avatar, he looks mighty big!

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
I got mine some driftwood and he basically never leaves it. They like themselves some wood.

Plecaty

Registered Member
Apr 13, 2009
My Pleco is about 15" long and she's in a 55 gallon tank, and laying eggs apparently, does anyone know what the breeding pattern of pleco is? We got her about a week ago, and she just laid eggs today.

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
15" in a 55gallon is quite a poor condition for them to live in. You said it is 15" correct? If you're 55gallon is a standard 55gallon then it's about 12" wide, right? This means your pleco can not turn around comfortably at any given time if it were to choose to. While you may have enough filtration and take wondrous care of it, for the fish itself the living conditions are less than ideal. It's like putting yourself in a small pantry to live out of. Not the best in the world, though certainly doable. I'd highly recommend, if it's at all possible, taking the pleco back in for a smaller species for the 55gallon unless you have immediate intention on moving this fish in to a much larger tank relatively soon?

good luck!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
:eek: :iagree:Completely! You need to take that pleco back, it's much too big to live in a 55G tank. The amount of pollution alone she will create will foul that water so much you'd need to do huge daily water changes so she didn't get sick from it. She's probably spawned because of the water change from what she was in .... to your water.

Plecaty

Registered Member
Apr 13, 2009
First of all, I didn't post on this website to be attacked, she is very happy and healthy, I recently went to look at bigger tanks since I read the first one about the tank being too small and told them about my pleco and they said she's perfectly fine. I've had her for a week and the water doesn't get polluted, I clean their poop out of the tank everyday. So thanks for the "advice" but unless you have answers to the questions I'm looking for, don't bother leaving a reply.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
First of all, I didn't post on this website to be attacked, she is very happy and healthy, I recently went to look at bigger tanks since I read the first one about the tank being too small and told them about my pleco and they said she's perfectly fine. I've had her for a week and the water doesn't get polluted, I clean their poop out of the tank everyday. So thanks for the "advice" but unless you have answers to the questions I'm looking for, don't bother leaving a reply.
:banher:You came on here asking advice which, I see was clearly given. I think you need a serious attitude adjustment. This is a fish forum full of people who care about the well being of fish. If they were not conscerned or did not care I doubt they would have said anything at all and just let the thread disappear to the bottom where it belongs. Considering you just joined here maybe take a little bit of the advice into consideration before bashing other members.

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
No ones attacking you.. You asked for advice and you were given advice. That pleco is way to large for your tank. It will soon cause problems for its tankmates and her. You asked for advice on how to make your pleco less of a tyrant... GET A BIGGER TANK.

And don't be rude to people trying to help you solve your problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store