My search for a bigger tank continues(VENTING, sorry)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

feemia

AC Members
Mar 20, 2007
South-Central Washington
I often see craigslist ads with the following terms in the description

"big fish tank" If I contact them for the dimensions, it usually turns out to be a 20 or a 29 gallon.

"includes bubbler" I assume they mean an airpump, but where do people come up with that annoying term?

"includes rocks"

"all my fish died"

"comes with a sucker fish"

Last edited:

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
weve bought a few "larger" tanks off of mfk's classifieds (larger being 60 gallons and up). waaaaaaay cheap in southern california. plus, there were actual dimensions so you knew what you were getting.

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
Long story but I finally find an appropriate place to vent about this!!!

When I started getting into the hobby, I was ripped off big time. I saw an ad on craigslist for a 55 gallon, fully equipped for $200. Since I was impatient and saw it had everything, I contacted the seller, he called me and told me that they could come over to deliver it on the same day. Since I was at work I told him that they could go and I would just give the money to my parents since they'd be home at that time.

I came back and I saw a 30 GALLON tank in TERRIBLE shape. It was full of algae, brown spots everywhere, the top/light fixture was broken into two pieces, the filter was just an empty rusty box with no media inside, the stand was the only thing that was in good condition, but again... a 30 gallon one :(. So I call back and it turns out the person who called me was only a person who was a FRIEND of a person who wanted to sell their tank and he was told that it was a 55g and he assumed no responsibility, but gave me the number of the person who supposedly was the previous owner. I call the previous owner and it was some phone number of a person who said had no idea what I was talking about, and after a long convo with her I gave up. I tried to call back the other phone and of course they wouldn't pick up my calls.

I wasn't there to see who sold it and my parents who didn't know anything about tanks couldn't remember anything. I still have that 30gal tank in my living room, if anyone in San Diego wants a cheap 30gallon tank... I replaced the filter at least and cleaned it. lol.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
that sucks. i always make sure i have a picture and dimentiosn of the tank before i pick it up. i did get a nice deal for a 55 gallon and metal stand for $50 recently. also saw a gut just trying to get rid of a really large tank (like 120 or 220 gallons cant remember but it was some where in there) for like $100 would have jumped on it if i had the money or the space to put it some place. recently though there has been nothing good and usually you really have to look for a good deal.

BWT we also get people who are trying to sell stuff for ridicules amounts of money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store