Need advice not sure what is going on with my 10g QT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I set up my 10g in late October with 4 glo danios I did a fishy cycle since I don't know how to do a fishless cycle. I kept up with all the tests using api drops did wc's of about 25% daily as needed .As of February mid month the tank tested as if it was cycled I had 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. Since I thought the tank was fully cycled I planned to remove the three danios that made it throught the cycle without issue and put them in my main tank and start quarantining some cories. I bought 5 4 pandas and 1 that looks like a Juli. 2 weeks ago I tested the water and got an ammonia spike abut 0.5 I thought maybe I was overfeeding so have been feeding every other day instead of daily. Sadly I lost one panda corie the others are doing fine. I did a wc about 25% and the ammonia went back down to 0 but this morning when I did my scheduled wc and checked for ammonia again another spike closer to 1.0. I am planning to do another wc later tonight but I don't know what is going on. I tested the tank water and nitrate still shows at 5.0 so why am I getting ammonia readings? So frustrated I thought after almost 3 mos of cycling with the readings I got that the tank was fully cycled could this be a mini cycle I don't know so frustrated. Any advice is appreciated.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Does your tap water use chloramine as opposed to chlorine for a disinfectant? Chloramine is reduced to ammonia when you add a dechlor product like Seachem prime, safe or others..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How long was it empty?

Most likely, you added more bioload than the danios provided. Keep in mind that 'cycled' really means 'enough bacteria to consume the amount of nitrogen waste produced by the current occupants'. Remove the fish, food declines, bacteria die off. Add more fish, bacteria colonies have to expand to catch up. Cycled is not a permanent condition, rather, it is a snap shot showing that at that moment, there is a balance in the waste being produced and the biological filtration available to process it. Change one variable, and it is no longer in balance.

Reactions: ConcentratedPassion

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Does your tap water use chloramine as opposed to chlorine for a disinfectant? Chloramine is reduced to ammonia when you add a dechlor product like Seachem prime, safe or others..
My tap water actually tests negative for ammonia but am not sure about chloramine or chlorine the reason I use a dechlorinator just in case. The tank wasn't empty the day I brought home the new fish to add to the QT was the same day I took the danios out and put them in my fully cycled and running for years 36 gallon main tank. I don't use prime anymore I tried it once for a previous issue in another tank I had issues with ammonia spike and it caused me more headaches actually. Thanks for your input is appreciated as I stated below gonna do water changes until the ammonia levels off to 0 3 more weeks the cories go into my main tank.

Last edited:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
How long was it empty?

Most likely, you added more bioload than the danios provided. Keep in mind that 'cycled' really means 'enough bacteria to consume the amount of nitrogen waste produced by the current occupants'. Remove the fish, food declines, bacteria die off. Add more fish, bacteria colonies have to expand to catch up. Cycled is not a permanent condition, rather, it is a snap shot showing that at that moment, there is a balance in the waste being produced and the biological filtration available to process it. Change one variable, and it is no longer in balance.
Ok so water changes are the best bet. These cories are going into my 36 gallon in 2 weeks so my objective is to get that ammonia level down is so weird though because I am seeing nitrate levels. Thanks for your input is appreciated.

Bluthebetta

Registered Member
Mar 3, 2019
I think everything will be fine, just be sure to take care of what you need and gradually and hopefully everything will go back to normal

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO. 4 danios cannot really cycle a tank . Have you cleaned your filter? Did you have a filter? What's your temp and PH? Nitrites and Nitrates?

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I had 5-6 danios to start off with but during the cycling I lost 2. I did do 2 wc's back to back and rechecked the ammonia levels again and all is back to normal 0 ammonia nitrate 5 I might have been overfeeding. Yes I do have a hob filter but have not rinsed it. I have the temp on 82 as was highly suggested. So so far so good.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That temp is too high for danios & most cories. Try low 70Fs to maybe 76F at most. High temps reduce the amount of oxygen & the life spans of fish kept too hot.

Good luck!

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store