Need Help with LED Lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yves

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2016
I currently bought an Aqueon LED 55 Aquarium Kit, there is two hoods 12 White LED on each side, will I be able to grow plants with this set up. I noticed a lot of LED kits have multi colored lights this has only white.

Tks for the help

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i'm not familiar with the item. the link goes to a filter and not a light kit, and searching the fosters & smith web site for "aqueon led" turns up a lot of not-very-related hits, plus a variety of led strip products that are not specific as to power output or spectrum. do you have any more information of this product?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think that is a system generated link, by viglink, not added by the poster... just another form of advertising.

And I think I am aware of the product... It may be considered a very low level of light... but things like Anubias, Bucephelandra, Moss and ferns will grow if attached to decor. Crypts and other low level plants may work planted in the substrate, but further away from the light will mean less to assist growth, so they will be slower to grow.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yves, like said, those LED hoods might work with java fern and anubia to name a few, especially if attached to something that places them closer to the lights. It's a try and see situation if you want to work with what you have. I've got a similar LED hood for 30"x12" tanks currently not in use. It came with a Top Fin tank kit I bought ~4yrs ago from Petsmart. I never did try it with low-light plants, but it does seem to cast a lot of light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store