Need ideas stocking two tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I’m currently cycling two of my old tanks, the third is already cycled and has fish. The 55g (originally was going to be for African cichlids, but changed mind, tamk is a bit on the small side) and the 20g Long. It’s been a while since I kept fish, about a year or so. After a hard time thinking of stock lists of these two tanks.

I want to have angels again, loved my old angel I had in my 37g a few years ago. I do know angels do and will eat small fish that can fit in their mouth, and can be aggressive at times.

Stock for 55g, (may change, as it cycles)
1-2 angels
1 rainbow shark(just a thought)
10+ Black Neon Tetras or Cardinal tetras
4-6 corydoras, not sure of what kind

Stock for 20g long (may change as well)
1-2 pearl Gourami or pair of kribs
8-10 Harlequin rasboras or tetras
4-6 otos

Any ideas or suggestions? Anything helpful?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
55gal, nice, but IMO, Rainbow sharks will be too aggressive for that stock. Maybe add another school of tetras?
20gal, Otos like a very established tank and 4-6 maybe too many initially.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Agree rainbow shark may be too aggressive but love the rest of the stocking, would just bump up the tetras and cories schools. Black neons are a great choice with angels and one of my fav tetras, they will be fell safest with a bigger group especially when the angels breed and the cories also will appreciate a bigger group and the angels won't bother with them really.

Agree that otos needs a very established aquarium. Kribs might not tolerate the Otos when breeding. May I suggest honey gouramis? Feels like a better fit for the tank size/space and stocking.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I’ve kept rainbow sharks before, never seen any aggression from them. Kept them with my old angel and black neons before, only issue is that they jump.
I can up the school to 15 or so Black Neons, as they are one of my favorite fish to keep. Also kept them with angels once before, so I know theres no issues there. I think I can get away with 8 corydoras or so.

For the 20 I could do a pair of bolivan rams or a pair of GBR instead of the kribs. I can swap out the otos for 2-3 South American bumblebee catfish, which is another fish I love.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The GBR or bolivians are going to be just as aggressive with bottom dwellers when spawning as kribs will be. I really like the idea of honey gouramis, so I am going to second them.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
My water is a bit to hard for rams to breed. I already have a Gourami in another tank with tiger barbs, not sure if I want another with a gourami as a centerpiece. I know with the bumblebee catfish, they hide and rarely come out, nothing really bothers them.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I wouldn't count fully on that. Why not a single ram or krib for a centerpiece? Or a school of something nice like threadfin rainbows?

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I could do a single Krib instead of a pair, that way I don’t have to deal with them spawning. I’m going to swap out the rasboras for serape tetras instead. Harlequins are hard to come by around me lately.

20g long stock: seems more reasonable
1 kribensis
10-12 serape tetras
2-3 bumblebee catfish
Maybe a snail or two.

55g stock:
2 angels
15 Black Neons
8 panda corys
1 clown or bristlenose pleco

Both tanks have plenty of hiding places for all fish. Working on adding plants first then fish. Tanks are halfway through their cycles. One I seeded the filter, while the other was a new filter.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sounds better! Only suggestion is to stick closer to 10 serpae and add more like 6 bumblebees. They are pretty shy in general so a bigger group really helps. I like where this is headed, pictures or it didn't happen. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store