Need some input

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Triggerman

AC Members
Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
I have been out of the saltwater hobby for about six years. I have been itching :woot:to get back into it. I just bought a 72g bowfront. It will be fish only.
Foxface
Filefish
bangaii cardinals
royal gramma00u0u_3OZqsXLzyis_600x450.jpg
peaceful wrasse
I have chosen to go wet/dry filter.
Can anybody chime in on their recommendations for a reliable set up,preferrably one that will allow a protein skimmer to fit in the sump part of the wet/dry.
Thanks Mike

00u0u_3OZqsXLzyis_600x450.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Welcome back!

If you're going to get a skimmer, don't do a wet dry. The rock will serve as your biofilter. As you mentioned, you will likely have trouble with space in the wet dry for a decent skimmer and a return pump. Also, you will be limited to the water level (height) that your wet dry allows for. A 20+ gallon tank with a single baffle (could do more of course) to maintain the water level in the skimmer area would serve you better than a wet dry and it will be a lot cheaper.

Nice tank! 72 bows are a great size.

Triggerman

AC Members
Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
I am not going with live rock. If I run a sump and protein skimmer I will need biological filtration. I really don't want the heater and skimmer to show in the display tank. What are my other options without live rock?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you're not using rock then you have no choice but to go with bioballs or some sort of ceramic media.

I understand about the the not wanting equipment in the DT.

Since you need a trickle over the bioballs, I'm not sure how you would facilitate that without a wet dry type sump that is made for that type of circulation (drip plate, etc.).

If you are set on this method then I would suggest getting the largest wet dry you can fit and one that has the largest (and deepest) resovoir area for the skimmer and return. You will no doubt need an auto top off to keep the water level stable in the skimmer/return portion (somtheing a simple glass baffle would solve with a traditional sump).

Are you concerned about using rock because of cost? If so, dry rock is cheap and buy the time you buy a wet dry filter, you'll probably spend just as much. Unless, you can find a used one that fits your needs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store