Neon Tetra Disease-Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nilsha Pathirana

AC Members
Jul 22, 2020
That seems your best option, a good move. Congrats on having a QT/hospital tank, not all do. Please keep us updated, we care even if we don't know how to help you in OZ. Fingers crossed for your fish...& fast shipping on drugs...We all hope they help soon!
Thank you so much.... I’ll keep you guys updated. ??

Reactions: Sprinkle

Nilsha Pathirana

AC Members
Jul 22, 2020
Thank you so much.... I’ll keep you guys updated. ??
Hi guys,

It’s not looking good unfortunately. I have tried melafix, pimafix, myxazin but nothing worked. So they are on wardley fungus-add at the moment. Now one of my green neons got clear blisters all over him, and his belly is turning red. So I don’t have much hope ☹?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Whether columnar is or NTD, your best option is to euthanize ALL fish, break down the tank, sterilize and re-start.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Columnaris is not hard to cure, NTD is almost impossible to cure. The former is a bacteria the latter is "Plistophora hyphessobryconis belongs to a group of organisms called sporozoan parasites. The disease doesn't just infect neon tetras, other similar fish can also become infected."

Zebra danios are especially at risk from NTD. So are a number of other fish. NTD affects the skeleton of the fish. Columnaris will manitfest as external white patches and/or mouth fungus. It will also likely be in the gills.

I suggest you remove the affected fish to an H tank and then treat them with an antibiotic used for columnaris. If they gave nTD they will die there. If they have columnaris, they very well might recover. By removing them you will minimize the risk to the other fish. NTD usually spreads when other fish munch on the corpse of a fish which died from NTD.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
First of all,
Now one of my green neons got clear blisters all over him, and his belly is turning red
makes me think more of Ichthyophonus as NTD....

I suggest you remove the affected fish to an H tank and then treat them with an antibiotic used for columnaris. If they gave nTD they will die there. If they have columnaris, they very well might recover.
Yes that would be the best thing to try right now. At least separate the affected fish.

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store